A&H

What do I do pre-match?

The Referee Store
If heading was outlawed in mini soccer (some already do this) then I could see significantly less danger to others anyhow. As for older children,it would appear that most wearers deal with their problem accordingly from my experience. Sometimes the footballers ad campaigns can be a big help,hence Edgar Davids and his sports glasses appears to have been a success since and made sports glasses appear more accessible and affordable.

The risk is principally to the wearer of the glasses. My eight year old son only has one working eye so I am probably more sensitive than most on this subject.

One of the players in the (U10) team I coached wore glasses and I wouldn't let him wear them while playing or training. His parents baulked at the cost of sports glasses (about £150). I asked them how much they would be willing to pay to retrieve his sight if he lost an eye. (In the end they got him contacts.)

You said that players are not allowed to wear glasses, the guidance says differently.

"Referees should ensure that if a request has been made to wear glasses/goggles, that they must not be a danger to himself or to any other player."

Unless the glasses have polycarbonate lenses and a strap they are a danger to the player.

I will overlook this in age groups where the ball never moves fast enough to be a danger but once a shot could shatter a lens or frame they can remove their glasses or find another referee. Playing football is not worth your child's eyesight.

"Referees should ensure that if a request has been made to wear glasses/goggles, that they must not be a danger to himself or to any other player."

Unless the glasses have polycarbonate lenses and a strap they are a danger to the player.

I will overlook this in age groups where the ball never moves fast enough to be a danger but once a shot could shatter a lens or frame they can remove their glasses or find another referee. Playing football is not worth your child's eyesight.
What you actually said was:
Players are not allowed to wear glasses but at U9 I would overlook this so long as they are plastic.
(Emphasis my own)

What you actually said was:

(Emphasis my own)

Yes but that was clearly in the context of a referee asking about wearing his own glasses which are obviously not polycarbonate or he wouldn't be asking the question.

Yes but that was clearly in the context of a referee asking about wearing his own glasses which are obviously not polycarbonate or he wouldn't be asking the question.
Even in that context it is in opposition to the FA Guidance.

Well done, first game ticked off, onwards to your next match.

Couple of things, don’t do anything quick, at most levels of football, player reactions give you a good base for your decision.

If you have a difficult to call corner/goal kick or defensive/attacking throw in, always go goal kick or defensive throw in. Don’t want a goal from your disputed call even if you believe you are correct!
That’s my top tip - unsure of direction ball out play - go with defensive team …

Back