A&H

What are good age levels to start with

Dave Mac

Should I start with adults, or will being a new ref it be better to start at a younger level. I'm ideally looking to just get the experience under my belt, but I dont want to be going under 10's or something and have to send them off!

What would you suggest is a good age range to start with for a new ref?

The Referee Store
Difficult one this. Some may want to skip kids/youths altogether and go straight to open age.
Personally, I'd look at doing some youths U14/15's first, get a feel for the game, then maybe one weekend a month do an open age game

thats what I was thinking as some like 12 -15 they shouldnt be able to run me ragged straight away as the one thing I have noticed is I know I'm not peak of fitness but do play a bit as well. But when playing you can get away with taking a breather or switching off a bit where as being a ref you really need to keep up with play at all times.

But thanks for the advice, I think it kinda reaffirms what I was already thinking.

Just remember with the younger ones, prepare yourself for 22 Alex Fergusons on the Touchline!

Just remember with the younger ones, prepare yourself for 22 Alex Fergusons on the Touchline!

With the young players, the parents are the concern, not the players. I started out - pre-qualification as a parent helping to referee mini soccer, then i did a few games 11v11. After I qualified, i jumped straight into Open Age football (both mens/womens) and never looked back - sure, it is a challenge every week and some games are better than others, but that's all part of the learning curve.

;)

i've got my first "proper" game this sunday, under 14's. So hoping it wont be too bad and they dont run rings round me!

It'll be my first match where I dont know anyone playng so will be an experience.

Personally as a young ref myself (well 20) but started at 14 lol id say go straight to adult football. Cant stand youngsters parents on the side they make my blood boil some of them. Atleast with open age they are at the age where mummy and daddy doesn't come along and how they act on the pitch cant be excused because they are "still learning " so they SHOULD no whats right from wrong.

Personally its down to personal preference.

Either way good luck and keep us updated

I agree with Ross. 14/15's are a good age to start. They arn't as difficult to handle as seniors but arn't as easy as mini football. It has enouhg of a challenging edge to it.

That said, it all depends on what appeals to you, I know many who have gone straight into the seniors.

Personnally, I started with the youth and moved on from there. And, to date, I have had much less hassle with the senors than I have had in any junir game.

mmm.. I feel its down to the level of the league. I have reffed U12 Premier Elite Teams [just short of academy teams] who know how to pass the ball. Great game but a lot of movement for the man in the middle.

Then there's 15-16 'lower league' games and the pace is walking, with the odd saunter up field and a lot of clumsy tackles.

I suggest get to know your leagues and pitch yourself according to what you want/need and then you should be prepared for the full onslaught.

Back