A&H

What’s the guidelines?

Ori

U18 and u16 games struggle for referees.

A lot of managers don’t bother getting one and referee the matches themselves which causes a lot of issues.

If a ref is on site for whatever reason and offers to ref the match, do they have to use said ref or can they just insist on a coach doing it?

The Referee Store
That’s what I was afraid of. They literally have managers ref their home matches and it just instantly gets the opposing teams back up. Most of the time rightly so.
So if I rocked up to a pitch with no ref and offered my services, I assumed they would kind of be obligated to use them.

No, you can't force teams to accept a game being refereed by someone who just "rocks up" to their field without having been officially appointed by any legitimate authority.

If they both agree to have you ref then fine - but you can't compel them.

Not forgetting of course that qualified referee or not, if you don't have in-date DBS for youth football you shouldn't really be doing it ... ;)

There's no official way of certifying who you are. Anyone can go online and buy ref's kit or claim to be a qualified ref and it means literally nothing.

Remember this as well when you are reffing - you'll have club AR's who claim to be qualified refs, or managers using that as a reason to give you "feedback" after a game. And of course, the first thing the "qualified" AR does is signal a throw by sticking the flag over his head, or the manager refers to years old law to try and tell you why you were wrong.

You could offer your services to the club in advance, but you'll still get accusations of being a "homer" ref. Much better to go via the appointments secretary - even if you tell them you're looking to just get appointed to your local club's matches most weeks, that still gives you more authority than being a random guy who's just turned up!

Maybe also makes it less surprising when, if you caution or dismiss, and report through WGS, the league see misconduct they weren’t expecting to be reported. Just a thought
Shouldn't that be reported regardless of whether someone's qualified or not 🤷

Although, I've never seen a 'club' referee send a player off (maybe I've not watched enough local games 🤣)

Shouldn't that be reported regardless of whether someone's qualified or not 🤷

Although, I've never seen a 'club' referee send a player off (maybe I've not watched enough local games 🤣)
Oh I have. I’ve also watched managers coach their players from the centre.
It creates the worst atmosphere.

I finished reffing a game and walked over to the other pitch just as another game was kicking off. I was standing with the parents and couldn’t believe the one sided biased ref work by the teams manager and giving instructions to his own players!
Anyway, after he failed to give a hand ball for an outstretched arm and claimed it was by his side, he clocked me watching him in full ref gear. He suddenly became far more balanced. This was an u16 game.

Most coaches are actually want a fair game. This one obviously didn’t.

houldn't that be reported regardless of whether someone's qualified or not 🤷
Arguably, what club official is going to have access to WGS, know how to report, and above all, care enough to report.

I’m in agreement, I’ve never seen a coach caution or dismiss anyone

I recently refereed a team that in their last two matches with their coach as a ref had them both abandoned.
Coach seemed a really nice guy, he made himself CAR, 'only offsides and out of bounds please' then I gave a penalty against his team, he sat waving his flag aggressively shouting me over, 'to discuss his angle'.

I quickly realised why his last two games went south.

Back