A&H

Waving an imaginary card - Dissent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bester

RefChat Addict
Seems to be a drive to punish it but is dissent by action or just general showing a lack of respect for the game?

Implications at grassroots where sin bins are used for dissent.

The Referee Store
Consider what Collina said at the world cup. For players, non verbal communication can be Ok, especially in multi language situations.

Inaginary card is not mandatory caution. You must consider the context and decide.

Consider what Collina said at the world cup. For players, non verbal communication can be Ok, especially in multi language situations.

Inaginary card is not mandatory caution. You must consider the context and decide.
It is in the senior English game, PGMOL have instructed referees that they must caution for it.

To answer the question though, I don't think it is dissent, rather unsporting behaviour.

Here is an excerpt from the London Evening Standard:
Any player who waves an imaginary card in an attempt to get an opponent booked will be cautioned themselves, UEFA have ruled.
Referees have also been ordered to clamp down on dissent, and to book at least one player should they be surrounded by a group.
May be pertinent to mention the date it was published: 12 April 2012 . . .

Difficult to follow. So Collina jnstructed referees basically not to. PGMOL instructed referees to.

Both Jackson and Mac Allister cautioned by Taylor for card waving in the Che Liv game now.

Both cases the players are just asking Taylor why no card. Did not seem like “dissent” at all. Reeks of fixing a problem that didn’t exist.

Mesnwhile players are still standing in front of the ball to delay snd Jackson studs in Konate’s chest just a yellow. Lord.

@santa sangria

Surely you didn't expect this to be a 1 game fix. These problems have been allowed to fester in the pro game for seasons on seasons. it's Matchweek 1, they haven't even had a chance to go to St George's Park and review the actions from the previous week to decide how to move forward.

I think Webb will ensure they stick with it, give them some time to iron out the teething problems. We've already seen a second yellow in the Rotherham game for waving a card (justifiable in my opinion), and plenty for delaying the restart and dissent. It'll have an effect soon at this rate, and one that hopefully trickles down

Difficult to follow. So Collina jnstructed referees basically not to. PGMOL instructed referees to.

Both Jackson and Mac Allister cautioned by Taylor for card waving in the Che Liv game now.

Both cases the players are just asking Taylor why no card. Did not seem like “dissent” at all. Reeks of fixing a problem that didn’t exist.

Mesnwhile players are still standing in front of the ball to delay snd Jackson studs in Konate’s chest just a yellow. Lord.
Referees have visited every club and told all players that waving an imaginary card will be a mandatory yellow. If players are still stupid enough to do it then they can't look beyond themselves. There have also been countless cautions for delaying the restart, both in the EPL this weekend and the EFL since it restarted, the message will get through eventually.

The Jackson challenge was never a red card. Yes, his foot was high but the contact was minimal, a referee going red there would just be surprising everyone.

It's all down to personal opinion and temp of the game. My personal opinion is I am tired of players trying to ref the game, so I'll be using a verbal warning to pack it in, then sin bins. Not sure waving an imaginary card will boil my p*ss the same way shouting "that's a yellow ref" though.

So waving an imaginary card is a caution but not shouting "That's a yellow, ref"...
They're the same thing.
It's only a language barrier that causes players and coaches to wave the imaginary card at officials.
I think the difference is that a shout to the ref is only heard on the pitch whereas visibly waving an imaginary card can be seen by all and is viewed as undermining the referee's authority as well as USB.

I think the difference is that a shout to the ref is only heard on the pitch whereas visibly waving an imaginary card can be seen by all and is viewed as undermining the referee's authority as well as USB.
I think that’s why we’re seeing the pro cards for the waving--it’s public. I doubt the pro refs are giving a card for a verbal “that’s a yellow.”

Digging up an old thread instead of starting a new one, as I was thinking about this very scenario in regards to sin bins.

If sin bins are in play, does waving an imaginary card fall under dissent, and therefore 10 minutes in the bin? or does it fall under USB and is a yellow card?

Digging up an old thread instead of starting a new one, as I was thinking about this very scenario in regards to sin bins.

If sin bins are in play, does waving an imaginary card fall under dissent, and therefore 10 minutes in the bin? or does it fall under USB and is a yellow card?
Please don't dig up old threads, always start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back