A&H

Watford v Bristol City

LC

Level 6 Referee
Clear foul by Watford player inside the Bristol City half and a second yellow card awarded however City still had the ball and had a 4 on 1 with a clear chance to score although still in their own half. Ref stopped play and sent the Watford player off. Is stopping the play necessary here or could the ref have waited to see what happened with the attack and then come back to hand out the red card?

The Referee Store
The laws say you have to administer the RC sanction and can only signal advantage if there is a clear goal-scoring chance:

"Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play,
violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear
opportunity to score a goal."

Clear opportunity I understand means only the keeper to beat, good angle, clear, close shooting chance... close i.e. central and in on goal.
So, in own half, no. Got to stop play and give the RC.

Well the law states ...

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal

So it really depends on how clear the goal scoring opportunity was. If it was in or near the box with a 4 on 1 I'd be tempted to wait, but if near the half way line I'd be more likely to stop play there.

Back