A&H

Use of Names

Three years a referee, and yet never have I been sure on how to approach the claim that a player cannot say such a thing as "leave it" or "mine" and that a player must use a name. My practiced concept has been that unless there is a genuine attempt to distract a player, then it is permissible. Would like some advice on this please.

The Referee Store
Three years a referee, and yet never have I been sure on how to approach the claim that a player cannot say such a thing as "leave it" or "mine" and that a player must use a name. My practiced concept has been that unless there is a genuine attempt to distract a player, then it is permissible. Would like some advice on this please.
You've pretty much summed it up correctly. It's an old myth, I was always coached from a kid that saying those things was an offence but of course it isn't. If it is a deliberate attempt to deceive then it's an IDFK and a yellow card but I've never had to give one in my almost 400 games as a referee.

After the appeals I'll tell them clearly it isn't an offence just to shut them up and then explain at the next break in play that it's a myth and I've never had any problems after that.

It is not on offence to shout "mine" or "leave it" unless it is an attempt to distract. It's covered under Law 12 towards the bottom (last bullet point) under 'Cautions for Unsporting Behaviour' -
  • verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

I've come across it a couple of times at U11 (where I ref as I'm the coach) and once during an U12, every time during a penalty being taken (twice it was missed, ordered a retake much to the chagrin of the coach) . I didn't actually caution the player (have a view on cautions at 9v9 and below that not everyone shares!) though would have done at an older age group.

Back