A&H

Unusual discovery on pitch inspection

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
A (quite) rare couple of middles for me yesterday - both on same pitch.

Both games Under 14s. During pre match, I noticed that penalty spot was only 10 yards from goal.

On closer inspection, I ascertained that although goal area was correct size, penalty area wasn't - too small.

Obviously I let games go ahead, but will report pitch shortcomings on my match report form.

Club assistant 'incident' coming next!

The Referee Store
It's a bit of a minefield. I had the same years ago where the penalty area was the wrong size completely, basically there was 6 yards from the post along the touchline to goal area, but then only another 6 yards instead of 12 yards to the penalty area. Going away from the goal the dimensions were correct, so it led to a very squashed up penalty area. As soon as I saw it I thought "that isn't right", but there were no other pitches and both teams were happy to play.

So we got on with it, and I reported it to the league after. Heard nothing else for a few weeks, then I get an email from the away team's CFA's disciplinary officer asking for my observations. Turns out that despite agreeing to play, the away team (who, unsurprisingly had lost) had appealed to the league who had then got the CFA involved. End result was the game was ordered to be replayed as I was incorrect in law in allowing the game to be played. Last time I will ever take a teams verbal "we are happy to play" comment, if it happens again I'm getting it in writing ..!

For a standard 11v11 game, the dimensions are laid down by law, thus we have no discretion over whether to accept them or not.

As @RustyRef has pointed out, whilst both teams may be happy to play on the day, there will always be the risk that one (normally the losing....or the one you've upset the most) of the teams will seek to appeal the game afterwards. Normally, if a team wants to protest something they have to bring it to the attention of the referee at the time of the match....but if you have approached them with the issue, I guess that makes things a bit stickier.

Seems harsh, but better not to play the game rather than risk getting grassed up to the CFA for being incorrect in Law.....especially if you're a promotion candidate!

Would say that a number of pitches wouldn't be correct in law but have never brought a tape measure with me to measure them. I walk the pitch and count the lines out and they vary weekly. I know I was once told when I queried an assessment and was asked by the appeals panel what do the LOTGs state and what are the competition rules, having told them they went you shouldn't have played the match. I laughed and said you wouldn't have any OA/Junior games on a Saturday if you took that attitude. The panel didn't care their thoughts were the LOTG and rules are there for a reason, stupid as they may be!

Back