A&H

Uncontested Drop Ball Rule

Yoda_72

Can someone clarify for me, whether a player can dribble from an uncontested drop ball? Does it have to be played like a free-kick where it needs to touches by someone else before they can play it again?
Thanks

The Referee Store
A little bit of outside the box thinking. The ball is dropped to a player. He takes a few touches and is fouled. He takes the free kick and kicks it directly into goal. The ball had not touched any other player since the drop ball. Goal or no goal?

A little bit of outside the box thinking. The ball is dropped to a player. He takes a few touches and is fouled. He takes the free kick and kicks it directly into goal. The ball had not touched any other player since the drop ball. Goal or no goal?
Just make sure one of his mates touch it before free kick taken 🙃

Goal - what happened before you awarded the free kick is immaterial.

Excellent bit of rules lawyering! Agree 100% that a strict interpretation of laws says that the goal doesn't count and play restarts with a GK, but that's clearly not the intent of the law...

This also needed a bit of 'is it a trick question' thinking. It's only a goal if it was not into his own goal and the free kick was DFK. Keeping in mind nowhere in law does it say foul = direct.

Excellent bit of rules lawyering! Agree 100% that a strict interpretation of laws says that the goal doesn't count and play restarts with a GK, but that's clearly not the intent of the law...
I think the law is ok on this. It for say "If a dropped ball enters the goal without touching at least two players..."

This also needed a bit of 'is it a trick question' thinking. It's only a goal if it was not into his own goal and the free kick was DFK. Keeping in mind nowhere in law does it say foul = direct.

I think the law is ok on this. It for say "If a dropped ball enters the goal without touching at least two players..."

You have faaar too much time on your hands my friend... 😄

Back