A&H

Junior/Youth U9 1st minute goal, leading to a lot of hassle from 1 8 year old kid

Gabriel

I refereed my first game today, an U9's league match. Within a minute, the away side is 1-0 up (went on to win 6-3). Obviously home side are unhappy about this. One of the players from the home side ran up to me and shouted things I didn't know an 8/9 year old kid would know existed (basically meant I was useless etc). I ignored him because it was so early on and they were so young. Should I have spoken to them/the coaches about this or used a sanction or not?
Just to clarify, the coach took him off 10 mins later after he kicked out at someone (I spoke to him about this), and he never came back on.

The Referee Store
Solution
Very early days for you, so this is intended as guidance for you.

Running up to you to shout at you? This is dissent. Obvious and public too. Don’t ignore it, as much as that feels the right thing to do in the heat of the moment.

You will have heard of the stepped approach on your training, and this is an opportunity to use it. Remember though you don’t have to go through each stage, and skipping steps as appropriate is a valid method of dealing with things.

Blow the whistle, stop anything going on, You have two choices - you could caution, or tell him/her calmly and publicly that you won’t accept that. Make it explicitly clear to everyone you won’t tolerate it. The player now knows, the coaches know, and the parents know. You...
I refereed my first game today, an U9's league match. Within a minute, the away side is 1-0 up (went on to win 6-3). Obviously home side are unhappy about this. One of the players from the home side ran up to me and shouted things I didn't know an 8/9 year old kid would know existed (basically meant I was useless etc). I ignored him because it was so early on and they were so young. Should I have spoken to them/the coaches about this or used a sanction or not?
Just to clarify, the coach took him off 10 mins later after he kicked out at someone (I spoke to him about this), and he never came back on.
At the first instance of unacceptable shouting, ask the coach whether he wishes to do something before you do. You cannot tell the coach to substitute the player, but can invite the coach to consider the options (red card or subbed)

Very early days for you, so this is intended as guidance for you.

Running up to you to shout at you? This is dissent. Obvious and public too. Don’t ignore it, as much as that feels the right thing to do in the heat of the moment.

You will have heard of the stepped approach on your training, and this is an opportunity to use it. Remember though you don’t have to go through each stage, and skipping steps as appropriate is a valid method of dealing with things.

Blow the whistle, stop anything going on, You have two choices - you could caution, or tell him/her calmly and publicly that you won’t accept that. Make it explicitly clear to everyone you won’t tolerate it. The player now knows, the coaches know, and the parents know. You are in control, and you won’t accept this.

Don’t commit yourself to action immediately “do that again and you’re sin binned” because if you don’t, you create hassle for yourself later on.

Solution
If you have a major problem with an under 10 player, something I’ve done is - an extension of talking to a player in a neutral place - is lead them over to close to the coach where she/he can clearly hear, understand and support your warning.

This also helps in YC/RC situations where a young player might break down, be upset etc.

It’s much easier for a coach to console, control or sub a player;)

If you have a major problem with an under 10 player, something I’ve done is - an extension of talking to a player in a neutral place - is lead them over to close to the coach where she/he can clearly hear, understand and support your warning.

This also helps in YC/RC situations where a young player might break down, be upset etc.

It’s much easier for a coach to console, control or sub a player;)
Nice bit of safeguarding too - for the player but also for you, as they can't then claim you've sworn at them or anything.

What was exactly said was offensive to me and something I am not willing to post online for all to see. However, I do now realise the appropriate actions that should have been taken

Some players r more volatile then others & r bound to do something nasty as was the case with this player, as he hit out at another player; as a referee you are in charge of game.
Hope you learn from this, you have to confront the player, try & de-escalate the situation (and keep a close watch) but if he’s not calming down take action before he becomes a nuisance.

Back