A&H

U13 & U14 players wearing spectacles

mgwilsonfcca

Level 7 Referee
I am a new ref, just completed six games at youth level. I have encountered players wearing regular glasses. When I mention this to the manager/coach they look at me like I am stupid “they need them to see ref!”

My opinion is that they should only wear the goggle type of glasses as regular glasses are a safety concern for the player.

I have let them play and explained to the coach that it is not my responsibility and the club will be responsible for any problems involving the player. It does seem unfair to exclude a youth player who does not remove his/her glasses.

Any thoughts on this one?

The Referee Store
There's FA guidance on it here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw3DaHSFvTA0Bkm5AvdYYloq&opi=89978449

Specifically on children, it states the following ...

Children and grassroots football: Whilst The FA recommends Polycarbonate lenses we recognise this may be an issue for children playing in grassroots football. Therefore we encourage referees officiating in grassroots youth football to be tolerant over glasses. However the individual referee has to show concern for all those playing in that game and if s/he feels there is something dangerous in the glasses i.e. sharp edges, etc, then in order to protect players and also the wearer him/herself s/he has the authority to say the glasses can’t be worn.

I always call the manager and parent over to say look are you both ok with the glasses and that I am not responsible or it’s having a child crying and upset that I don’t let them have a game of football

Its the rigid corners that are the issue for me, it they connect with another player, especially around the eye, I dont want to be the ref in the middle. I always insist they come off.

It doesn't actually say that though, it would be easier if they were allowed or not. The wording, like a lot of things fudges it. I am not talking about 7 or 8 year olds, but when they get to U13, U14's things get a lot more competitive and raise the chance of accidental contact with the rigid corner of glasses.

I think the wording is quite deliberate and not hard to follow. Glasses are, as a general matter, permissible. If a particular set of glasses has something about them the R believes is dangerous, the R has discretion to disallow them. Pretty much the same standard in the US. (And I’ve never seen a kid with a pair of glasses that I considered unusually dangerous.)

The FA Guidance linked is from over ten years ago? Who knows if it is still accurate.
Also if the FA is putting that out then it should be supplying a written indemnity to all its referees alongside it, considering it is a safety issue.

The FA Guidance linked is from over ten years ago? Who knows if it is still accurate.
Also if the FA is putting that out then it should be supplying a written indemnity to all its referees alongside it, considering it is a safety issue.
It is on the FA website, so you have to assume it is still accurate.

Law 5 covers it -
A referee or other match official is not held liable for:

any kind of injury suffered by a player, official or spectator

Back