A&H

Junior/Youth U12 Dissent

Ge0rge

I just wanted to clarify an event that happened last season involving an U12 team as I am doing the team involved again soon so I just wanted some piece of mind as I questioned my decision a lot after the game (even though it was only U12!!).

It was the final 10 of the game. Top vs Bottom of the league. 0 - 0 until the home team scored. The ball had hit the keeper in the face and then the striker had scored off that rebound.

My first question is as to whether this goal should stand. It could be considered as a head injury yet on the day I thought it was harsh to judge as so?

Following the goal, one of the away teams players shouted from the centre circle (I was standing by the goal where the goal had just been scored), “you don’t know how to ref”. Even though they were only 12, I believe that this justified a yellow card due to the fact he shouted it and to show that it wasn’t acceptable. Sin bins were not in place at this point and thus I approached the player to show the yellow card, took his name and number and showed the card. As soon as the card went into the air the player said “ooh no what are you going to do, show me a yellow card”. At this point I took out my yellow card again and subsequently the red.

My question is: Was I justified to show both yellows and the subsequent red or should I have been more calm in my approach and got the manger involved due to the age group?

After the game the manager, to my surprise, accepted my decision, no questions asked!

Any opinions on the situation would be greatly appreciated. :)

The Referee Store
Sounds a gobby little git, but comes across a harsh/emotional second yellow all stemming from the same incident where you're still going through the disciplinary sanctioning. YHTBT but goal seems alright to give unless 'keeper's decapitated.

Hopefully that player will remember not to gob off unless he wants his playing time reduced.

Important to remember though: it's a fresh game.

There has been time between both gobbings off so I can see why the double yellow.
Yep try to treat it as a fresh game. Hopefully he'll remember that he cost his team a player through his actions and not be so gobby.

Try to treat the next game as a fresh slate. From your explanation, you were right IMO to give the second yellow. I don’t see it as harsh at all, it seems to be an evolving nature that younger players seem to think they can gob off because their managers tell them that they wont get cards at that age. And no, you should not have disallowed the goal and was correct to let it stand.

IMO the second yellow was definitely justified as the first incident was whilst you were half a pitch away. I see no issue with awarding the goal either with the goal coming from the rebound. Just approach the game as you would any other, if the little chap didn’t learn from his last red then what’s the worse that can happen besides he gets another one.

My first question is as to whether this goal should stand. It could be considered as a head injury yet on the day I thought it was harsh to judge as so?

For me it is worth considering the severity of the injury. I think given that the goal happened immediately afterwards, that you were correct to play on if you considered it a minor head injury, especially as it comes via natural play with the ball (as opposed to say, an elbow etc, I'm not using the right terminology here, but I'm ill so don't mind me...) If play had continued a bit further from that rebound though, I think common sense would be to kill the play. Also if the player was KO'd or something, I think in that case you may be justified in thinking that you should have blown the whistle early.

I wouldn't get too hung up on 'head injuries'. I'm not saying ignore them completely, what I'm trying to say is that you can still have minor head injuries that you can play on with, you know, weak glancing blows from a hand to the head, or mud going into someone's face, that sort of thing. People will try and get you to kill the play for that sort of thing and I don't think you need to.

Regarding the double-caution, I agree, don't see an issue with it.

Also as others have said, go into it with a clear head and treat the game as a clean slate. You don't want any doubts unintentionally influencing you or otherwise.

Back