A&H

Junior/Youth Two very different halves

SLI39

U15 match this morning with two teams of the same club playing each other.
I had hardly any discipline to deal with, which is unusual for this age group, but I was disappointed that my performance deteriorated on the back of two decisions in the second half.
First half--I settled in well and was well placed to see a foul after the ball had gone on the edge of the box (free kick scored by yellows), followed by a clear penalty as a yellow striker nipped in ahead of the keeper. Quite pleased at half time: 2-1 to yellows.

Once it went 4-1, the game swung dramatically and yellows let guard down. Whites begin dominating possession, winning free kicks etc. At 4-2 with about 15-20 mins left, so a crucial point, a white midfielder finds some space in the box. Defender appears to tread on his foot and get none of the ball, while attacker does appear to go down easily. I give penalty and explain I've seen a trip. Quite a few complaints, and maybe it was 'soft' (though I don't like the term), but my main regret is that I let it affect me. 4-4 soon afterwards; then I give a yellow free kick for hand ball, which is protested. Sod's law: yellows score winner after long ball forward from free kick. Impulse to even up match then creeps in.

It wasn't a disaster, but confidence in decisions goes a long way. Out of interest, how do you stop replaying decisions in your head and fearing that you've influenced a match, especially if the score is tight?

Thanks

The Referee Store
You have the time it takes for the incident to happen to come to a decision. Once you've blown and restarted play, it's gone, you can't then change your mind. At that point file it in the back of your head to review at the end of the match....move on, of course if you're like Sheffields Finest and myself....you'll never be wrong......

If I genuinely think I've got something wrong that has potentially influenced the outcome of the game, I try to use it as motivation to work harder, for the next 20 minutes at least.

An extra yard in the sprint, covering more ground, generally sharpen up. Helps in a number of ways - you performance should improve anyway, you'll be all over everything in that crucial next 15 minutes while players may be most unhappy about it and anybody paying particular attention to you after feeling wronged is seeing all the right things happening.

Certainly don't dwell on it, you'll be much more likely to make more incorrect decisions. The time for reflection is in the car on the way home, not before that.

Thanks for all the good advice. I certainly feel motivated to improve if I believe I have erred, but you also want to avoid a 'two wrongs make a right' mentality. I guess it comes down to maintaining composure, putting from your mind the details of what has gone, and perfecting what is still in your control.

Fortunately, I've come to see this as one of my strengths as a referee. Think of the next decision as a chance to make up for the possibility of a previous mistake - not by making a balancing decision, but by giving yourself the best chance of making the right decision. Generally work harder for 5 minutes and put in a slightly harder sprint to allow yourself the best chance of being in the right position, and the confidence that will give you should help you mentally move on from something you were less sure about.

Every decision you make influences a match, every decision. I've never added it up but it could easily be in the 400 range per match. Yes, some are more critical than others but as others have said once you've made your decision you can look awful silly if you change your mind under pressure from players... once you do one they have got you where they know how to pull your rope... Move on, don't go around apologising after a game either (too often), they'll certainly not be knocking on your door to admit theirs...

I try not to think about a decision. 9 times out of 10 we will make decisions based on our gut feeling on what we see. After the game I look back and think maybe I was wrong and could of done things differently but most of the time we will be right and when we are wrong it is because we cant allways be at the right angle for every incident.

Back