A&H

Trotters v Wendies

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee

Skip to 6.50.... Is this the new rule where he allows the advantage and only yellows the BWFC DHB in the build up?
You could argue that losing a man (BWFC) and then SWFC scoring the resultant penalty was more of an advantage to SWFC than what happened? Clarification please?

The Referee Store
That's not a new law or a law change. The logic is that for all he tried to deny a goal scoring opportunity, ultimately he failed as a goal was scored anyway. Therefore, all you can do is caution.

Yep, what possible offence could he be sent off for here? DOGSO doesn't apply given there was no successful "denial" and there's no other legitimate reason to then show a red.

Also, wendies?? Come on SF you know the rules....

As others have said cant be sent off as a goal was scored here for the goal scoring opportunity was not denied. Correct call.

Another lack-lustre display. Something somewhere needs to change quickly otherwise playoffs are gunna be a distant dream at this rate.

I saw Carlos the Dreamers interview and thought i'd missed something new!! I don't do this for a living so i was just checking??

Getting touchy now they've returned to mid table mediocrity!! Ironically I was being positive toward them with this post but hey ho!!!

I saw Carlos the Dreamers interview and thought i'd missed something new!! I don't do this for a living so i was just checking??

His interview was truly, truly, embarrassing. I can accept the complaints about the penalty that should have been given, but equally we shouldn't have been reliant on a late penalty to salvage a draw against bottom of the league who have lost their last 8 games without scoring a goal. His claims that the defender who handled should have been sent off were ridiculous though, and smacked of total desperation. He'll be back in Portugal by next weekend.

His interview was truly, truly, embarrassing. I can accept the complaints about the penalty that should have been given, but equally we shouldn't have been reliant on a late penalty to salvage a draw against bottom of the league who have lost their last 8 games without scoring a goal. His claims that the defender who handled should have been sent off were ridiculous though, and smacked of total desperation. He'll be back in Portugal by next weekend.
the worry is, he wont be.

Is this the new rule where he allows the advantage and only yellows the BWFC DHB in the build up?
As @RustyRef said, it's not a new law but there was a recent modification (2016-17 Laws update) clarifying that it is now a mandatory caution "if a player [...] handles the ball [...] in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal" whereas before it was only specified as being mandatory when a player handled in an attempt to score a goal.

In the 15-16 Laws, it was "may caution" (quote below from pg 132), but the desired outcome by instruction was "must caution" for DOGSO-H situations.

If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned.

Cheers Guys, when I heard the interview I searched for the clip as he hasn't got a Scooby Doo about refereeing decisions usually and I was just checking as to if there had been any changes. Coote got it spot on on the day, and I also agree with the pen shout too!! But, hey, as a Blade I'm enjoying the suffering after 5.5 years of Pub team and Mind that Gap jibes on ourselves....

Cheers Guys, when I heard the interview I searched for the clip as he hasn't got a Scooby Doo about refereeing decisions usually and I was just checking as to if there had been any changes. Coote got it spot on on the day, and I also agree with the pen shout too!! But, hey, as a Blade I'm enjoying the suffering after 5.5 years of Pub team and Mind that Gap jibes on ourselves....
If Carlos goes... who knows... you might need to errrm mind the gap ;)

Good piece of refereeing in the OP. If the attackers want a pen an red card I guess they can take the risk of stop playing after the handball and not score a goal.

Devil's advocate
The reason a goal was scored and it's not a DOGSO is that advantage was played. If advantage was not played then it would have been a penalty and one less opponent which would have been arguably more beneficial to the team (which is the point of the OP). So is it correct to play advantage in pen+DOGSO-RC situation?

Devil's advocate
The reason a goal was scored and it's not a DOGSO is that advantage was played. If advantage was not played then it would have been a penalty and one less opponent which would have been arguably more beneficial to the team (which is the point of the OP). So is it correct to play advantage in pen+DOGSO-RC situation?

No, because to win a football game, you need to outscore your opponent. Having the goal is technically therefore more advantageous than not having a goal and your opponents being down a man.

Back