A&H

Junior/Youth Tricky One Tomorrow

Steve C

The Unfit one!
Under 12s

So, Im 100 miles from my home (staying with parents for the weekend for a nice visit) so thought sat morning when everyone will be in bed and unsocial-able, LETS GO REF! I'm refereeing 2 teams I know well from when I lived at home with parents, One team I used to coach and the other team is full of players that left the team I used to coach, so I know parents, players, managers etc.

Only issue is I have been told of lots of animosity between parents and managers from both teams off pitch and the players can be a handful on pitch (at that age now). So it could really kick off on or off the pitch. Im going to be speaking to managers separately to lay the ground out for them and basically say 'I dont care what has happened off the pitch, thats nothing to do with me, this is a childrens game of football, lets keep it that way, nothing silly, keep the players in check and lets just enjoy the game. Anything outside of a good game of football, I will deal with how i feel appropriate for a football match whether it be a talking to, a card or a report.'. Ill also give my 'are you both happy to provide a club assistant each to fulfil offside and touchline in and out responsibilities? (Normally yes at this point) If you wish the club assistant to be removed then your club AR will also be removed and I will officiate the match myself.

Not really had this kind of issue before going into a game. Im going to try and keep the game to the right tempo and let the players play as much as I can.

Anyone got any other advise to give me?

The Referee Store
The only real advice I was going to give was to not fall into the 'they're just kids' trap - but it sounds like you're fully prepared to issue a few cards if necessary. U/12 can be difficult, and some of them have been taught to by nasty, cynical, manipulative players - and they're also taught that few referees will card them.

Parents and managers will influence the field - I've never regretted sending off a manager, but I have regretted not sending one off, or waiting so long to send one off. At youth sending off a manager can completely change the complexion of a match. But it sounds like you're going to try and build a rapport with them before the game. So all that given, all you can do is wait and see what happens!

Players may pick up on the heat from parents and start something behind your back - even at this age (I once had an U/10 player stomp on an opponent!)

Under 12s

So, Im 100 miles from my home (staying with parents for the weekend for a nice visit) so thought sat morning when everyone will be in bed and unsocial-able, LETS GO REF! I'm refereeing 2 teams I know well from when I lived at home with parents, One team I used to coach and the other team is full of players that left the team I used to coach, so I know parents, players, managers etc.

Only issue is I have been told of lots of animosity between parents and managers from both teams off pitch and the players can be a handful on pitch (at that age now). So it could really kick off on or off the pitch. Im going to be speaking to managers separately to lay the ground out for them and basically say 'I dont care what has happened off the pitch, thats nothing to do with me, this is a childrens game of football, lets keep it that way, nothing silly, keep the players in check and lets just enjoy the game. Anything outside of a good game of football, I will deal with how i feel appropriate for a football match whether it be a talking to, a card or a report.'. Ill also give my 'are you both happy to provide a club assistant each to fulfil offside and touchline in and out responsibilities? (Normally yes at this point) If you wish the club assistant to be removed then your club AR will also be removed and I will officiate the match myself.

Not really had this kind of issue before going into a game. Im going to try and keep the game to the right tempo and let the players play as much as I can.

Anyone got any other advise to give me?
How did it go?

Back