A&H

to kick off or not to kick off; THAT is the question

Deltic

A goal is scored, let's just say "exactly as time expires" for that half (doesn't matter which half).

Is it a requirement to follow this with a kick off (and then blow up), or just blow up?

I'm certain it is not necessary to kick off, but for the life of me I cannot find anything in Law to corroborate my opinion.

The Referee Store
Nothing in law, but best practice would be to restart and play a few more token seconds. Otherwise you are saying that the ball hit the net the very second that time was up, and that might lead to some comments.

No different to only blowing for time when the ball is in a safe, neutral, area. Not law related but rather common sense.

A goal is scored, let's just say "exactly as time expires" for that half (doesn't matter which half).

Is it a requirement to follow this with a kick off (and then blow up), or just blow up?

I'm certain it is not necessary to kick off, but for the life of me I cannot find anything in Law to corroborate my opinion.

At 4-0 or so i.e game is certainly decided, blowing up is fine

more decorum needed at more delicate scores

Decades ago, in my very first ref class, the instructor, a retired FIFA, strongly recommended having the KO for two reasons. First, it mutes the debate about timing A bit. Second, it ensures time for you or your ARs to realize or communicate an issue with the goal. The second is ameliorated a bit by changes that allow a ref to change a decision after calling full time if still on the fiel. But I still follow the advice (though possibly not in a blow out, as @Anubis references above.

Unless you've extended the half to allow for a penalty to be taken.
This is a good point. And if this happens - and you are well over time from setting up the penalty - and you plan to blow straight after the shot - then tell the players if there is no time for a rebound/follow up.

This can happen - and the last thing you want is to be blowing an unexpected whistle as the taker slots in a rebound. Guaranteed bedlam. So, tell the players before the kick!

This is a good point. And if this happens - and you are well over time from setting up the penalty - and you plan to blow straight after the shot - then tell the players if there is no time for a rebound/follow up.

This can happen - and the last thing you want is to be blowing an unexpected whistle as the taker slots in a rebound. Guaranteed bedlam. So, tell the players before the kick!
Also a good idea to tell the players around the penalty area that this has happened. Then there are no shocks.

Pedantic side note: while it is fully appropriate to tell p,Ayer’s that time is extended only for the PK and there will be no rebounds, refs do NOT have the authority to tell players to get away from the PA or to permit them to leave the field bdfore the PK is complete.

Pedantic side note: while it is fully appropriate to tell p,Ayer’s that time is extended only for the PK and there will be no rebounds, refs do NOT have the authority to tell players to get away from the PA or to permit them to leave the field bdfore the PK is complete.
Maybe not, but you can make it very clear they will be wasting their time and effort in going for any rebound.

Maybe not, but you can make it very clear they will be wasting their time and effort in going for any rebound.
Of course. That’s pretty much what I said at the start of my post. I only added the post because I’ve just heard of too many stories of refs insisting that all players move to the halfway line or sending them to the touchline.

Of course. That’s pretty much what I said at the start of my post. I only added the post because I’ve just heard of too many stories of refs insisting that all players move to the halfway line or sending them to the touchline.
Too many - really?

A last second penalty has happened to me once in 700 matches…

Good point. Very rare but a defender could legally run in and clear the ball if it's spinning back towards goal, or an attacker could shield the ball over the line.

Good point. Very rare but a defender could legally run in and clear the ball if it's spinning back towards goal, or an attacker could shield the ball over the line.
Quiz question: what happens if the defender attempting to clear the PK in extended time kicks it into the goal?

Quiz question: what happens if the defender attempting to clear the PK in extended time kicks it into the goal?
That depends. Has the referee stopped play? The lotg answer is the PK is complete as soon as it is played by the defender so ideally no.

As the referee in this situation I'd have whistle in mouth to indicate play stopped the very nano second it's abundantly clear the PK is about to be complete.

That depends. Has the referee stopped play? The lotg answer is the PK is complete as soon as it is played by the defender so ideally no.

As the referee in this situation I'd have whistle in mouth to indicate play stopped the very nano second it's abundantly clear the PK is about to be complete.
What a mess if it happens, right? The defender touching the ball ends the PK and therefore ends the game. So (and, yes, I know it will never happen), if one of those crazy bouncing PKs is going to spin back into the goal on an extended PK, and the defender kicks it in, no goal. Imagine trying to sell that one!

Back