A&H

Threads being closed too early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HullRef

RefChat Addict
I have a great appreciation for the moderators and for Ross for running this forum (which I think is great and has really helped me) but recently (past few months) I have noticed that some threads have been closed quite early, before any real discussions have taken place. I know that the admin staff have to use their judgement as to when this are getting out of hand but I think that closing the threads early prevents the chances of real thought provoking discussions emerging.

I just wondered if anyone else agreed with this or if anyone has their own opinions. I personally think a bit more leniency would be better so that people have more chance to give their input to the topic.

The Referee Store
Homophobic hull strikes again!

Discuss
Not quite haywain although that thread is what triggered my memory. On that subject it's another way that the FA promotes one sided equality but I won't dwell on that cause that's padfoots area and I don't want to get banned. I just set this thread up to hear other peoples opinions.

It might just be me feeling in an argumentative mood ( I had a school careers thing today and was predicted to become either a solicitor or politician so that might explain it :) )

Hull, do you honestly believe that promoting homophobia is acceptable, in the interests of equality or otherwise

When you've thought about it and come to the conclusion that the answer is no...and will always be no, please let me know.

You want to be a politician, try watching 'Milk'

You want to be a lawyer, try watching 'Philadelphia'

Last edited:
He's phrased it like a 24 carat plonker but I understand what he was trying to say I think.

Seriously poor use of words though

He's phrased it like a 24 carat plonker but I understand what he was trying to say I think.

Seriously poor use of words though
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a plonker, I am completely against homophobia, I was just saying that if people are allowed to express their hatred towards it through the rainbow laces, then why can't people who don't agree with it (ie for religious reasons) show that too?

I know I still sound like a plonker but I can't think of a better way of wording it. Sorry :(

It's simply moderators imposing their own personal views onto people by use of the lock thread button.

They will say what they want to say then lock the thread so no opposing viewpoint can be offered.

Yet they remain free to use foul and abusive language towards members without sanction, and without removing it when it's complained about.

It's simply moderators imposing their own personal views onto people by use of the lock thread button.

They will say what they want to say then lock the thread so no opposing viewpoint can be offered.

Yet they remain free to use foul and abusive language towards members without sanction, and without removing it when it's complained about.

Come on, Padfoot, we all know that the scribblings on forum's such as these are simply the modern equivalent of tomorrow's fish and chip wrappings...

... and if, by 'foul and abusive language', you're referring to the vile comments made by dan cohen on a locked thread that I read the other day which Ross, in his dubious wisdom, has seen fit not to delete then Ross, Dan and Monkey should hang their collective heads in shame....and then remove the offending post

Guys lets not turn this into the 'have a go at the moderators thread' the reason I started it is just to try and get threads open longer, not belittle the people who make this sight what it is

Guys lets not turn this into the 'have a go at the moderators thread' the reason I started it is just to try and get threads open longer, not belittle the people who make this sight what it is

You asked if people have their own opinions.....people have, and have expressed them.

I don't believe anyone is 'having a go' at the moderators.....they are just pointing out the apparent double standards that exist.

I have complained more than once about premature and heavy handed moderating, having experience in running forums I know how it stifles debate, but Ross is obviously happy with how things are.

Bottom line is that it's his train set and he can run it how he likes.

You asked if people have their own opinions.....people have, and have expressed them.

I don't believe anyone is 'having a go' at the moderators.....they are just pointing out the apparent double standards that exist.

I have complained more than once about premature and heavy handed moderating, having experience in running forums I know how it stifles debate, but Ross is obviously happy with how things are.

I know and haywain are expressing your opinions but they do comes across as a bit strong.

I personally agree the rainbow laces thread certainly has been closed fairly quickly. I think debate is a good thing and some people on there were making their points in slightly poor fashion. But I certainly would have liked to put my two pennies worth in as think it's an interesting topic of conversation and a shame it was shut so quickly.

That said I think the moderating and general standard if this forum is very good. By and large things stay on topic and relevant. Some members I think peddle their opinion a bit strongly, but that's how all forums work.

Ok guys, here goes......

As ive said to you in a PM, this has been dealt with, and will NOT be happening again!!

Come on, Padfoot, we all know that the scribblings on forum's such as these are simply the modern equivalent of tomorrow's fish and chip wrappings...

... and if, by 'foul and abusive language', you're referring to the vile comments made by dan cohen on a locked thread that I read the other day which Ross, in his dubious wisdom, has seen fit not to delete then Ross, Dan and Monkey should hang their collective heads in shame....and then remove the offending post
Thanks for that!! I cant be here 24/7, I do have a life away from the forum, not much of a life granted, but a life nonetheless, I simply don't have the time to trawl through every single post on here, things get missed, so I can only apologise for that, I am only human after all. The post was reported, and was dealt with as soon as I saw it.

Yes you have, but I too have experience in running forums, more than I care to talk about, and have also been involved in a potential court case due to comments on one of my forums in the past, so forgive me for being over cautious when it comes to closing/deleting threads/posts. Ive seen it too many times when ive allowed threads to continue and things have gone downhill rapidly. So in an attempt to nip things in the bud early on, it is decided to close them before any abusive/insulting comments are made, as 99% of the time, that's exactly what happens in my experience. Were never all going to agree on everything, what a boring world it would be, and as such, we are never going to be able to please everybody.

I know and haywain are expressing your opinions but they do comes across as a bit strong.
Couldn't have put it better myself. It is often very difficult to gauge how things are meant to be said on a forum, it only takes one missing smiley and all hell breaks loose!! Im not gonna lie to you chaps, I have quite often thought your posting style is very aggressive, and that sometimes you post just to provoke an angry response, again I could be wrong, but as you have said numerous times, these places are all about opinion, and that's mine.

As some of you may have noticed, there are now a set of rules in the announcements forum, here: http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/forum-rules.3774 id like to ask you all to familiarise yourself with them and get used to them. Myself and the other staff will be sticking to these, so don't be shocked when we step in, as you cant say you weren't warned!

I cant say im happy about having to introduce this, as I was quite happy with how things were, hopefully this now gives you some clarity, and we can move on with no problems.

Edit: Should also mention there is now a filter in place to block any swearing

We could've continued without the rules.....the catalyst for this seems to be the foul and abusive post by a moderator.

Ironic or what?

Don't know what else I can do short of a public flogging. It has been dealt with, don't know how many more times I can say it really.

Better idea! Let's put all of this to bed and forget about it and move on and Ross can lock the thread. Forgive and forget.

The moderators operate a very light touch on this forum. It's Ross' forum and it runs how he wants.

1) I see what appear to be deliberately provocative posts on here and wonder what sort of image this portrays to the general public (or newcomer) about the way referees behave off the field.
2) I have posted deliberately provocative posts on here because I have felt strongly about a subject.

3) I have not posted on some topics because of 1) above.

4) I know people's moods and opinions change - so rarely would I regard any opinion as permanent.

Be excellent to each other.

Ah the suspense is killing me not knowing what went on. But for some reason the rather really low simmering tension in this thread just makes me think of the scene in the Inbetweeners 1st movie when they have the really rubbish fight!

I would have put a link to the vid, but there is some naughty language in it that not everyone might appreciate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back