A&H

This weekend

jojo

Assistant World Cup Sweepstake Organiser
Level 7 Referee
So this weekend seems to be filled with controversy for officials! What do we think? These are some of the incidents:
Mirallas goal v city - onside but given offside
Milner - could have been given a 2nd yellow? (City)
Bosingwa - surely a pass back? (QPR)
Bunn - was it a red? DOGSO + handball (Norwich)
Bassong - Handball for the penalty? (Norwich)
McManaman -red card for bad tackle? It was a awful tackle (Wigan)
Wigan and Newcastle coaches - Both being sent to the stand for the half time scuffle

For me the McManaman was a really bad challenge, and without doubt a red card.

What do we all think?

The Referee Store
The Mirallas one was onside but that was with the benefit of freezing it and looking on Sky. I know Andy Haliday as he taught me to ref when he was in the Army and was surprised he got that wrong as he's normally spot on.

Bunn was a definite red for me, doesn't matter if it's for a dogso or handball, he brought his arms in as he's jumped in so has deliberately stopped it going past him.

The McManaman tackle was a shocker, up there with Thatcher on Pedro Mendes, purely intent on hurting his opposition player. This is one where hopefully retrospective action will result in a three game ban. Ref was blind to it as a Newcastle player was right in front of him at the point he hit him.

So this weekend seems to be filled with controversy for officials! What do we think? These are some of the incidents:
Mirallas goal v city - onside but given offside
McManaman -red card for bad tackle? It was a awful tackle (Wigan)
Wigan and Newcastle coaches - Both being sent to the stand for the half time scuffle

For me the McManaman was a really bad challenge, and without doubt a red card.

What do we all think?

Haven't been able to look at all the ones in the original post, but here's my thoughts on those I have seen:

MIRALLAS: Yes, with the benefit of HD freeze frame, he was onside by a boot. Can't, by any stretch of the imagination criticize anyone involved in that decision it was so close.

MCMANAMAN: How on earth did he get to stay on the pitch?

COACHES: Had to be sent to the stands really.

And another one to ponder:
FELLAINI HANDBALL
Am I the only one who thought he saw a handball from the defender on the ground outside the area (the point where the FK was given) BEFORE it hit Fellaini? To my mind, the ref got that one spot on!

There did seem to be more errors than usual this weekend though, or is it just that we are now in the business end of the season and players are getting tired, and there's more at stake?

I don't think so. When you look at Lee Probert's arms, he shifts them up, as if to say his arms were raised, and Fellainis were. I think he got away with that. When I was watching it live, all the focus was on Fellaini, and when I looked at Osman (the one who slid in), his arm skimmed the ball, and didn't affect the flight, so I don't know how Probert could've called that one. I don't think that he would've been able to see that, especially as the ball only travelled a couple of yards.

One I forgot, and I can't remember his name! But for Wigan's second goal, the flick on from the corner was the most blatant hand ball ever! He punched the ball, and it then went into the box, and after a bit of pinball, Kone scored.

Newcastle must have felt hard done by!

One I forgot, and I can't remember his name! But for Wigan's second goal, the flick on from the corner was the most blatant hand ball ever! He punched the ball, and it then went into the box, and after a bit of pinball, Kone scored.

Newcastle must have felt hard done by!

Yup, that was one I forgot to mention as well.

Dont know where to begin to be honest

Ill start with the McManaman challenge. I think Halsey needed some help from his assistant on this one, as i dont think theres anyway that MH would have been able to see that clearly, as i reckon if he had a full view, McManaman would have been heading for an early shower

Bosingwa: Was definitely a back pass

Didnt see the Norwich game

Newcastle were hard done by with the handball for the 2nd goal by Figeroa (i think)

As for the Newcastle coach. What an absolute clown!!! Yes, McManaman got away with a horrendous challenge, but his behaviour was childish!!

Ill start with the McManaman challenge. I think Halsey needed some help from his assistant on this one, as i dont think theres anyway that MH would have been able to see that clearly, as i reckon if he had a full view, McManaman would have been heading for an early shower

Bosingwa: Was definitely a back pass

Didnt see the Norwich game

Newcastle were hard done by with the handball for the 2nd goal by Figeroa (i think)

As for the Newcastle coach. What an absolute clown!!! Yes, McManaman got away with a horrendous challenge, but his behavior was childish!!​

1. McManaman challenge< Halsey had his vision blocked needed help from his assistant which never came
2. Bosingwa...i agree back pass
3. I also didnt Norwich game
4. Figeroa Goal.. Yes Newcastle were hard done by thats football
5. John Carver: Yes went too far..but being an ex manager of a team i can understand why he lost his rag so much. Especially when Wigan bench said there wasnt anything wrong with the challenge. Roberto Martinez actually said his player wouldn't get banned as it wasn't that bad... wrong Martinez is was appalling and the FA`s 3 match ban is not enough that was a career ending challenge

1. McManaman challenge< Halsey had his vision blocked needed help from his assistant which never came

I've just seen it again on ESPN, and Halsey's view was blocked by the #10 just at the moment the tackle went in, the AR was way down in the other half, so may not have had the best view of it either.

Has McManaman been given a 3-match ban? I haven't heard anything on that yet. What's the prognosis on the injury?

You won't believe this - no suspension! The FA cannot issue a match ban because one of the match officials saw the incident, but because nothing was done at the time, the FA are powerless, so no suspension! The injury is ligament damage I think, but not too sure.

That's the system falling down right there, failing to protect the players.

Surely, there should be a loop-hole whereby the officials could say, 'It didn't look as bad as it was, it is worthy of a red card and I missed it' and the FA continue with the process.

Back