A&H

This is why a referee should contact the home manager....

I had similar last week. Find out our fixtures on a Wednesday evening for the following Saturday and usually get confirmation on a Thursday. However last week, it gets to half 6 friday evening and no confirmation, so I find the managers number from the league website and text to make sure match is still on, no answer. Set alarm for half 7 Saturday morning and wake up to a text sent at 3:20am saying game was off :confused::mad:

The Referee Store
One approach (which I've used occasionally - typically for repeat offenders), is that if no contact I either look at the league on full time to find a game with no assigned referee, or ping the refsec for another game. The manager that should have contacted you having to run around the middle of the pitch for 90 minutes with a whistle in their hand is far more effective than a £10 fine to the club.

How are you appointed to matches? Do you not get an e mail via Full Time?
not for all leagues no, but mostly yes.... however the handbook of each league does say that the home team manager is to confirm with the ref (by varying times dependant on which league) before the fixture

My league would be far from impressed if I did nothing. The protocol is that if you've heard nothing by Friday lunchtime (for a Saturday game), you should make contact with the home team and report to the league that you've had to do so.

Turning up without contact, to a potentially empty ground, doesn't benefit anybody.

not for all leagues no, but mostly yes.... however the handbook of each league does say that the home team manager is to confirm with the ref (by varying times dependant on which league) before the fixture

There you are then. My league operates the same way. If you've been appointed to a match - you've been appointed. End of story. You turn up as appointed. At least 25% of my match appointments don't involve any prior contact with the clubs involved until I get to the venue. Forget ringing people to "confirm". That's their job not yours. :)

Last edited:
in bad weather I earn extra brownie points by doing a pitch inspection the night prior and inform the home team that its ok 'at the moment' so we'll see each other in the morning ... or 'its like a Mediterranean out there and no amount of indian sun will dry it over night' so lets call it off now.

usually gets most managers very thankful and you like look the proactive kinda chap they want

That's a good idea providing the pitch is close to home. Some of my games (like many other people's) can be 20-40 miles away so there's no way I would be going the night before. I have, like you, however done it when the ground is fairly local.

ahh yes apologies ... thanks @PP62 ... I do this when the pitch is 'in and around' the area I live/work/going that evening

The guidance from my league is that if you aren't contacted by the home team then you are to assume the game is on unless the league tell you otherwise.

We slimy report the lack of contact, and the club get find. if you turn up and there's no one there then the home team still have to pay you, and that is sorted out by the league.

Luckily this league covers a fairly small area so at most I'd be travelling 30 minutes give or take to get to a game.

I had same problem on Sunday, no one confirmed, I thought ******** to it and just turned up.

Problem? No one else did

Back