A&H

Third match - couple of queries

kasharic

Level 9 Referee
Morning all.
I reffed my third match yesterday (and my first cup tie too). The match went well, with no cautions at all. I feel that I made improvements upon previous games, in a large part due to the excellent advice given on these forums :) I even got some compliments after the match :)
As always, there's much room for improvements, and I've identified these areas which I need to improve, and would welcome feedback or tips from you:
In this match, both teams played a direct style, so the ball was aerial a lot of the time, with lots of jumping from opposing players to contest the ball. There seemed to be quite a few incidents where players complained of pushes or being leaned into, which I'm not sure I penalised properly. I guess my question is I guess how much can be tolerated, or should I clamp down on this early, to set an example? I guess I don't want to blow every time there's an aerial contest, but then I don't want to leave fouls unpenalised, with the obvious risk of escalation. I guess it's about finding the balance?

Another issue - in my three matches so far I've not had asked for or given any club ARs - but I think I ought to going forward. Typically, do you have 2 CARs, or just the one? How would that work?

Finally, on a few occasions I've blown for a foul, or the ball goes for a throw-in, and I know which side to award it to - but I indicate the wrong team (forgetting in the moment the direction they're playing in). Is this normal for new refs, and can anyone offer advice on how to correct this?

Thanks in advance, Rich.

The Referee Store
When the ball is in the air, it is an ideal time for you to move. If you can get side-on to where the ball will land you have a better opportunity to see pushes or holding as players jump for headers. This is the idea of anticipating the drop. It's not always possible of course. But if you can get in some good positions side-on, combine that with some verbal warnings about holding, and penalise some obvious pushes early in the game... players will probably challenge fairly more for the rest of the game (if you're lucky!).

I find that when I'm refereeing games on my own with no ARs it is hard work to use the diagonal, get side-on in midfield, and try to anticipate balls over the top and get wide enough to see offsides better. Compromises have to be made when you are on your own in a fast moving game. Some people abandon the diagonal when on their own. My view, and what I was taught, is that overall you should stick to the diagonal. I compromise on ball in/out of play on the far side to see offsides better. And to learn the diagonal and make it natural.

With the direction of the throw. Perfectly normal to get used to it. Take your time. I talk to myself to remind myself which way the teams are playing, especially just after half time, or if the game gets boring. If you don't know the direction and are about to guess - or if there are some deflections and you can't be sure - take your time and have a quick look at the reactions of the players. Sometimes, if 22 players are moving in the same direction and blue is giving the ball to red for the throw... then you can be pretty sure the call for blue you were about to guess is the wrong one :)

I very much look to penalise a push in the back early on - players are smart and if they know you're keeping an eye out for it, they'll either do it less or hide it better! If you let it go early on, players will think you're not going to penalise it and then either keep doing it, or get wound up by you "inconsistently" penalising pushes. Assuming the message sinks it, it's OK to then let them get a little more physical as the game goes on, as long as people aren't being constantly wound up by it.

Check with your league rules regarding if you're supposed to be supplied with CAR's - if you're not, I suspect it might be difficult to persuade someone to pick up a flag and you'll just have to cope. If you do get given them, it'll be one supplied by each team and it's typical for them to track their own team's left back. I use mine to give me ball in/out of play all up the line (as often you can barely see the line) and give an opinion on offside, even if I sometimes overrule.

I still do this, especially straight after half time. My way of getting round this problem is by using my voice - give decisions verbally, and only use your arm once you're sure of the direction, or don't use it at all. Once you're settled into the match, start using arm signals again.

That's some great advice, many thanks. I'll take all this on board, and will look to improve performance and consistency going forward. Many thanks :)

Back