A&H

Open Age The moment a player uses foul and abusive and you know you've got them

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
A player today in my match after I gave a offside against him said your a cheating ****er.

So as my flag already up call referee over tell him what player has said and he says to referee while he is writing his name that a yellow ref ref then says no it's a red.

Man how I love it when player go is that a yellow

The Referee Store
Some refs would tell you that as they did not find the comment Offinabus yellow for dissent - you assist not decide!. That happened to me three times when i was lining for a class 3/4!

Here goes this argument again but I do understand your statement there are somethings that I will tolerate and let over my head but some things I won't first example is one above being called a cheat the other is a c you next Tuesday if any of those are directed at me then as agreed by other refs they should be walking plain and simple

Please don't open this argument again...let's all agree we have different tolerance levels of what is referred to as industrial language....although three off post match last week all used the 'c' word and by that I mean cheat....all missing the next two weeks. :angel:

I think what @Kent Ref was trying to say was whilst you can tell the referee what was said you cant instruct his course of action. You may well say to him during the conversation, or indeed at full time in the changing room ehat you think the sanction should be but ultimately he decides the sanction that will be administered.

ive had referees tell me in their pre-match that if i'm calling him over to deal with a player, its minimum yellow, but will leave choice of colour up to me .
Alternatively, I have had (in fact the weekend just gone) a referee tell me that call him over and its minimum yellow but leave choice up to him, especially if you are benchside, then he can take the flak.
(sorry when i say minimum yellow, i mean dont call him over for trivial stuff that we should be able to man manage)

I think what @Kent Ref was trying to say was whilst you can tell the referee what was said you cant instruct his course of action. You may well say to him during the conversation, or indeed at full time in the changing room ehat you think the sanction should be but ultimately he decides the sanction that will be administered.
]

Sorry million per cent not. When you as AR call over a referee, he "should" be asking you

"who was it"
"where was it/is he"
"what am I doing about it"
"how am I restarting the game"

The replies should be as above, "number 5, middle of park with orange boots on, red card and restart with the throw as ball was out of play"

Same goes for when you are referee, you ask the same things, you cant get the referee to decide what happens next for something they did not hear or see! That's your call, that's what you are there for.

]

Sorry million per cent not. When you as AR call over a referee, he "should" be asking you

"who was it"
"where was it/is he"

The replies should be as above, "number 5, middle of park with orange boots on, red card and restart with the throw as ball was out of play"

Same goes for when you are referee, you ask the same things, you cant get the referee to decide what happens next for something they did not hear or see! That's your call, that's what you are there for.

i will ask the AR what has happened, he'll tell me then I'll tell him what I'm going to do about it and then ask if he agrees. This ensures consistency with dissent/offinabus throughout the game and the same process would be followed for any other offence i'm flagged over for.

ive had referees tell me in their pre-match that if i'm calling him over to deal with a player, its minimum yellow, but will leave choice of colour up to me .
Alternatively, I have had (in fact the weekend just gone) a referee tell me that call him over and its minimum yellow but leave choice up to him, especially if you are benchside, then he can take the flak.
(sorry when i say minimum yellow, i mean dont call him over for trivial stuff that we should be able to man manage)

Yes agree Richard, I've always been told by referees that 'call overs' in these circumstances should only be card issuing offences & like you some referees will go with you, some want to make up their own mind.

One asked me about a strong foul in front of me, I said careless, but he issued a yellow anyway - said after the match it was just a tool he used to 'justify' the card!

i will ask the AR what has happened, he'll tell me then I'll tell him what I'm going to do about it and then ask if he agrees. This ensures consistency with dissent/offinabus throughout the game and the same process would be followed for any other offence i'm flagged over for.

If he agrees? And if he does not? Do you roll dice or play hunt the ace until you reach a suitable conclusion?
You cant really have a say on an incident that you have not seen or heard!

Yes that makes perfect sense - otherwise you have 3 officials with 3 different tolerances issuing cards for one game in effect.

You go to see a film, your boss aint seen it, you are determined he should see it and he asks you about it and you give it a 9 out of 10
He does not go to see it but tells his pals its a 9 and how great it is
Week later he goes to see it and its rank, dire, and he goes away head bowed and in his head its a 1.

He really cant have an opinion on the film until he see's or has seen it.

The off the ball you have seen or abuse you have heard, is your call.

]

"who was it"
"where was it/is he"

I would politeley disagree. The referee takes decisions pertaining to the facts of the games. When my AR calls me over I would like him to give me the facts not his opinion, this then allows me as the referee to decide the sanction. I might take advice on that but a good AR will give you the right facts to makenthe right decision anyway.
Fair enough we all do things differently. But if my AR said what you have written above my first question would be why? Upon what he tells me, and if factually a red card I would deal as so. But I certainly wouldn't be giving red cards without at least confirming the offence for which it was for..

Imagine a scenario, a player says to the referee that f***ing s**t ref. Red deems that dissent not offinabus as he is neither offended or insulted or feels abused. YC
Different player says exactly the same thing to the assistant. Assistant calls ref over. Red card for that please. What do you do then?

You go to see a film, your boss aint seen it, you are determined he should see it and he asks you about it and you give it a 9 out of 10
He does not go to see it but tells his pals its a 9 and how great it is
Week later he goes to see it and its rank, dire, and he goes away head bowed and in his head its a 1.

He really cant have an opinion on the film until he see's or has seen it.

The off the ball you have seen or abuse you have heard, is your call.

Not if you are an ASSISTANT surely? Yes, you relay EXACTLY what you have seen/heard and the referee makes the decision on the punishment based on the match and previous decisions he has made.

What happens if he has given a yellow or even just a verbal warning to another or even the same player for saying something very similar to the comment you want a red for?

If he agrees? And if he does not? Do you roll dice or play hunt the ace until you reach a suitable conclusion?
You cant really have a say on an incident that you have not seen or heard!

it's clear you dont agree and that's fine, but it works for me.

if the AR doesnt agree it's his chance to persuade me to do something different but as referee i'll take the final decision

If your are going to take a final decision on something that you have not seen then good luck to you

Am glad it works.

I can 100% safe say any class 1 referee in Scotland will say in pre match

"who"
"where"
"what am I doing about it "
"how am I restarting play"

if need be for clarity, the ref will then repeat back what you have said

Never having been on a game where a referee says otherwise, I cant have an opinion on any other prematch instruction

If you don't trust your assistant, don't have them on your game? You cant pick and choose which decisions you will trust them on
You either trust them 100% or 0%

imo of course

If your are going to take a final decision on something that you have not seen then good luck to you

Am glad it works.

I can 100% safe say any class 1 referee in Scotland will say in pre match

"who"
"where"
"what am I doing about it "
"how am I restarting play"

if need be for clarity, the ref will then repeat back what you have said

Never having been on a game where a referee says otherwise, I cant have an opinion on any other prematch instruction

I think everyone agrees with what you say, I have certainly been told by several referees to only call them over for an offence worthy of a card.

Which I understood to mean, when it is something which I as an assistant am unable to manage and disciplinary action needs to be taken.

I.e not call him over for something trivial that I should be able to deal with.

Back