A&H

The future?

micky2001

I know there were a few problems with regards to last weeks quiz but I was wondering if there are going to be any more@Supermonkey . If not I can understand but the scenarios were quite good and though provoking - would be a shame.

The Referee Store
I am still thinking about it. Last week kind of killed my motivation and enthusiasm for it.

I am still thinking about it. Last week kind of killed my motivation and enthusiasm for it.

Shame I've been snowed under with revision recently so had no time to enter, after tomorrow I only have 2 exams left, both next week, so I was looking forward to entering :/

I'd love to see it carry on, but do understand SM's reluctance.

It's entirely in his hands in terms of a decision, just got to wait and see

I'd love to see it carry on too SM (though would understand if you choose not to). But seems like a perfect way to stay sharp over the Summer and sure that folk will think twice about spoiling the thread again ...

In the opinion of the judge... and please remember the decision of the judge is final. In the absence of SuperMonkey's superior Flash skills I can't see this continuing and that's very disappointing.

Perhaps if users focussed on the information in the post instead of each other, it might work out.

Positioning

In this scenario, the referee has adopted a good position. He has allowed play to develop between him and his AR and he has not moved too close into the AR’s area of credibility. He appears to be facing towards the action and has ample room to pick out an escape route if play happens to break down in front of him and the defence take possession of the ball.

Fitness/work rate

As play is compressed into a relatively small area and s/he has good proximity to the action, there is no reason why the referee’s physical fitness should be questioned. I would however question their stamina as it is all too easy to be distracted from your focus when tired.

Alertness & awareness

When the noise occurred, the referee forgot one important thing; he already has at least one set of eyes pointing directly at the incident. The game is in a key area of the field and therefore his total focus should be on the interaction of the player in possession of the ball and any player challenging him. His active AR should be looking across the field (to check for offside offences) and s/he doesn’t need to do this.

Advantage

No obvious advantage to be played, unless the ball ran to another attacker who had an immediate opportunity to shoot at goal.

Stoppages & technical offences

The restart should be managed in accordance with Law 14. If this incident occurs close to the end of play in this game, consider how much time should be added for the management of the situation. Be aware that the game can be extended specifically for the taking of the penalty kick

Communication

Supermonkey has already stated that pre-match instructions have been given. The question has to be asked though whether they were adjusted for the AR with whom the referee has not worked before. It is important when working with an AR or a referee with whom you haven’t worked previously, to give them plenty of opportunity to ask questions during the pre-match. Also check with them at half time whether they would have done anything differently. Your instructions should have covered what will happen in a situation where an incident has occurred out of your line of sight or where you are not in a credible position. The signal given by the AR indicates that the offence occurred inside the penalty area and that a penalty kick should be awarded. So it’s time to ask the relevant questions... in Teamwork.

Teamwork

You need to ask the AR what s/he saw?

Did they get the numbers of the players involved?

Where did the offence happen? This is the most crucial question. If the player was inside his own penalty area when he struck the opponent, it is a penalty kick, even if the opponent was struck outside the penalty area

Did the player who the offence was committed against, commit any offences himself prior to be offended against? E.g. holding

In your pre-match instructions you will have said

9. Penalties – yes, no or help; goal line judge, infringements

c. Help – you know something happened (but you’re not sure what). If they think it’s a penalty, they should give the signal of flag horizontal across their chest, level with the top of their shirt pocket

The AR has followed your instructions. If s/he is clear and certain that they saw the defending player strike the attacker, then you need to act on that information.

You need to communicate the decision to the players, so a long hard blast on the whistle and a straight arm signal pointing towards the penalty mark are required. In terms of movement towards the mark, you can either walk or jog. If you walk, the defenders will have to come towards you and you will need to isolate the offending player in order to take the required disciplinary measure. If you jog, you leave a vacuum behind you which will soon be filled with defending players going to “congratulate” the AR. You need to protect the AR and be swift to provide a physical barrier between them and the defending players. You need to use a similar sweeping motion of the arms to usher them away from the AR’s position. If any overstep the mark with their comments, then they should be cautioned. Be aware of animated arm movements which will help you “sell” the decision to caution

Decision making/accuracy

This is a key match incident as it will result in a penalty kick to the attacking team. Statistically speaking, they are likely to score what may well be the winning goal from this kick. The defending team will have a player dismissed. It will change the whole dynamic of the game. You need to be broadcasting total confidence in both decisions.

Application of Law

Law 5 – The referee

· enforces the Laws of the Game, controls the match in cooperation with the assistant referees and, where applicable, with the fourth offi cial

· takes disciplinary action against players guilty of cautionable and sending-off offences. He is not obliged to take this action immediately but must do so when the ball next goes out of play

· acts on the advice of the assistant referees regarding incidents that he has not seen

· indicates the restart of the match after it has been stopped

· provides the appropriate authorities with a match report, which includes information on any disciplinary action taken against players and/or team offi cials and any other incidents that occurred before, during or after the match

Law 6 - THE ASSISTANT REFEREES

Two assistant referees may be appointed whose duties, subject to the decision of the referee, are to indicate:

· when misconduct or any other incident occurs out of the view of the referee

· when offences have been committed whenever the assistant referees have a better view than the referee (this includes, in certain circumstances, offences committed in the penalty area)

· whether, at penalty kicks, the goalkeeper moves off the goal line before the ball is kicked and if the ball crosses the line

Law 12 – Striking an opponent is one of the 10 penal offences which result in the award of a direct free kick to the non-offending team. The AR says the defender struck the attacker in the back and it appears in their opinion, that excessive force was used. The offending player should be dismissed. The AR also says the offence occurred inside the penalty area, so a kick from the penalty mark should be awarded.

Law 14 – all of it!

Additional – Guidelines for Referees – position of AR at the taking of a penalty kick

Match Control

You must dismiss for this offence. The AR’s pleading is a little unnecessary.

The dismissal process will consist of isolating the player, DO NOT ASK THE CAPTAIN TO COME OVER!!! Ask for the player’s name, write down his name and number, tell him he is being dismissed, ask him to leave the field and calmly but with confidence raise the red card in a non-aggressive manner. If the player refuses to go, then summon the help of the captain. If he still refuses to go, summon the help of the coach. If he still refuses to go advise you will be obliged to abandon. If he still refuses to go, abandon.

Other thoughts

The AR will write the disciplinary report for this incident. Your report will read something like…

Acting on the advice of my AR, Mr B Z Body, I dismissed this player in the xxth minute for striking an opponent using excessive force. When asked he gave his name as Mr Letting Hiswholeteamdown. I showed the red card and he left the field of play without making any further comment.

The AR’s report should read like the usual description of striking offence

Back