A&H

The Brentford Incident

The Referee Store
Do they have comms kit in this match?

If so the communication should have been vocalised before play was ever stopped to allow the assistant to help the ref with the decision as the ref must have known he didn't have the best viewing angle. I feel that if the ref had delayed the whistle to confirm what he thought he saw with the assistant then the whole situation could have been saved there and then, instead of having to go back and change everything, which in the end is what made all the headlines.

But otherwise, top marks for the assistant getting involved there. Takes a lot of courage to rule out the referee.

Last time I blew too early for a penalty (was out on my own) I was so grateful the GK saved it I ran over and shook his hand :)

Agree with Xman - the AR has done superbly there and help to bail the Referee out

An odd one. You have to wonder how that happens at this level with all the communication technology on the pitch.

The referee was obviously certain from his angle, and so felt that there was no need to communicate. Full marks though to the AR for ensuring the correct decision was made. I know not many Brentford fans will agree with me, but I feel sorry for the referee.

I don't feel sorry for him, he was caught out by a bad pass from the defender gifting the attacker the break (nothing wrong with that, he's not psychic) but this left him in a bad position to judge the tackle in the box (directly behind). He then makes a hasty decision and doesn't seem to take a second to at least look across at the assistant. Not great team work for me. Initially anyway, assistant saves the day!

I know the assistant personally. Good lad, not been at that level long but has a good future in prospect. Good tutor too.

Tough gig being a referee...

I self-overruled a penalty once: was for a handball but various things showed me I'd got it wrong and I changed my mind. I felt like such an idiot and didn't enjoy the rest of the game at all but it was the right thing to do. Certainly would've been easier in some ways to stay with an incorrect decision.

Tough gig being a referee...

I self-overruled a penalty once: was for a handball but various things showed me I'd got it wrong and I changed my mind. I felt like such an idiot and didn't enjoy the rest of the game at all but it was the right thing to do. Certainly would've been easier in some ways to stay with an incorrect decision.
Agreed - it's so easy to use somebody else's wrong decision as your scapegoat, but it's important that for your integrity and the integrity of the game that the correct decision is made.

Back