A&H

Technical area boundary when not marked

mctones

With greater direction to clamp down on technical area infringements, what do you do if there is not technical area marked (95% of my games)?

Not possible to sanction or we imagine a standard box?

The Referee Store
I don't think there is much you can do with no technical area in terms of offences outside said area.
But the behavioural side is still important..so being on the touchline showing dissent should still be yellow but we lose the leaves TA to make it red is all.
The participant charter is focussing on a top to bottom approach. It is hoped it being dealt with in the public light will filter down but will also support a more robust approach to participant behaviour immediately.

I think the main bit that's important is the idea of each team having "their space" on the sideline, which is usually pretty clear based on where the pile of bags are and where the managers roughly patrol while giving routine instructions. I'm not too fussed about trying to limit how far thy go or how big that zone is, but if they're encroaching on the opposing teams space, that's when we might start to have problems.

They can go where they want as long as there aren't competition rules or directives that say otherwise, I know of one league that mandates they are on opposite touchlines which certainly removes the risk of clashes between coaches and subs. They key thing is they behave themselves.

The one that irks me is when there’s a semi serious u15 or similar and a “competitive” coach comes all the way down the touchline to micromanage a corner. That’s abusing our hospitality;) At the point I’ll ask him/her to head back to the bench area.

If not marked out , I insist they use cones to mark them out, slightly easier to 'police' if need be
And what would you do if they say no? If the competition rules don't mandate them they would be well within their rights to refuse. The law even defines technical areas as for matches played in stadiums with a designated seating area.

And what would you do if they say no? If the competition rules don't mandate them they would be well within their rights to refuse. The law even defines technical areas as for matches played in stadiums with a designated seating area.
Its a requirement from the league, no teams sheets prior to game , no kick off, respect barriers and tech areas are mandatory (Youth League)

Its a requirement from the league, no teams sheets prior to game , no kick off, respect barriers and tech areas are mandatory (Youth League)
That makes sense then, I suspect we have very few grass roots leagues in England that require a TA to be marked out with cones.

I like our standing rule: teams are on opposite sides, and coaches have to stay with in 10 yards of the halfway line. Conveniently matches the center circle.
Hmm monitoring subs though.

We have a lot of matches with no ARs and flying subs, so we have to be able to easily see the benches to ensure the subs procedure is not abused.

With ARs and by the book subs, surely one AR for the subs… do you have different ARs signalling and procesding subs? Really?

in the US, games without ARs are much more rare. (I guess it’s cuz we’re a soccer country and can get enough refs.:D) In the games I do, there isn’t much processing going on with subs. In AYSO games, the AR does track who goes in, but subs are halfway through the half or injuries only for the younger games. The older games are either on the 1/8s with the R pausing the game for them or are done with a designated monitor who tracks the subs, not the ref team. (This is because AYSO mandates that every kid play half of every game.) For High School, no one records who is in the game (yes, I’m aware what problems that could lead to, but that’s the way it is), and horror of horrors, most HS games have two Rs with whistles rather than the diagonal system. (HS doesn’t play under the LOTG.) anyway, that’s a long way of saying it’s a lot of what you’re used to. For youth games, having the teams on the same touchline as their parents separates the opposing parents and puts them closer to the coach who has to manage them, (Heck, it also keeps knucklehead daddy coaches away from one another, too.)

Last edited:
Back