A&H

Junior/Youth Strange caution......

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
One of my other roles in football is manager of an U18 side.

Today’s game was a feisty affair with a referee sadly lacking in control and authority.

In the 2nd half one of our players committed a challenge that the ref judged to be a foul (it wasn’t but his position was poor), awarded the FK and restarted play.

5 mins later, the ball was out for a throw when the referee starts asking our players who made the aforementioned challenge......my player duly owned up and was promptly cautioned for the challenge.

100% certain it was for the earlier challenge, the ref was very clear about why he was being cautioned. 100% certain that no advantage had been played for the foul.

I am at an absolute loss as to what the refs thought process was for this?

I am even more annoyed that we cannot even challenge the caution despite it being totally incorrect.

The Referee Store
Just sounds like a total incorrect call, heat of the moment, these things happen to everybody, maybe wrongly he thought he could go back and caution

in a non confrontational and decent manner, did you ask for an explanation at the end? It would have been a good time to wear the referee hat and say, "going forward, you might do well to realise when you restart play like that, you cant go back for the caution"

Appeal wise, am sure during the season a yellow will be issued that on another day would be a red, or a player on a yellow will escape a 2nd yellow somewhere, ideally yes we all want perfection but its never going to happen!!!

One of my other roles in football is manager of an U18 side.

Today’s game was a feisty affair with a referee sadly lacking in control and authority.

In the 2nd half one of our players committed a challenge that the ref judged to be a foul (it wasn’t but his position was poor), awarded the FK and restarted play.

5 mins later, the ball was out for a throw when the referee starts asking our players who made the aforementioned challenge......my player duly owned up and was promptly cautioned for the challenge.

100% certain it was for the earlier challenge, the ref was very clear about why he was being cautioned. 100% certain that no advantage had been played for the foul.

I am at an absolute loss as to what the refs thought process was for this?

I am even more annoyed that we cannot even challenge the caution despite it being totally incorrect.

Maybe an opposition player gave the ref some stick for not booking the player and he caved in, given that the ref had previously shown no authority? It's all rather baffling.

We've all been there when we're not sure who's commited an offence I'm sure, but to ask the team 5 mins later and book the offending player is just odd.

It also raises the question, had nobody owned up, what was the refs plans next?!!!!!!

or, the tackle was made by someone already on a yellow and one of the players was alert enough to take the card, meaning the real offender stayed on the park!!

its not the 5 min delay that's the total bewildering part, extreme as it is...its that play has restarted following the supposed foul, which makes it technically incorrect to go back for the caution

Back