A&H

Sticking together as a team.

Jake Northwood

Level 7 Referee
I was wondering what everybody thought about what I saw last night.

Watching a local game last night in the West Midlands Regional league so the match had 3 officials.. Home manager getting very aggressive towards all 3 officials after not agreeing with some decisions going against them..

Play goes into the bottom LH corner and the linesman flags for a foul against the home/attacking side. As the referee trots back up to his position for the restart the Mangers pipes up "what the ********* was that for ref". And to my surprise the referee replies " I don't know (name) the linesman flagged for that I didn't see anything, you'll have to ask him".

I thought this was kind of stitching him up a bit and allowing him to be hassled when he came back up towards the half way line.
Basically my question is would you have said you'd seen the foul and stuck
together trying to take the shine away for the less senior linesman or how could you have worded it differently.

The Referee Store
i think that was a fantastic opportunity for him to have a word with the manager for his vocal shenanigans in general, giving him the chance to tell the fella to pipe down and deflect any attention from the assistant at the same time?

I've actually wondered this a lot recently when acting as the senior AR (and I assume would apply as 4th official as well) - what do you say when asked if you either didn't see what the referee gave a foul for, or did see and disagree?

In a world without comms, I find myself explaining decisions I understand, but then feel both useless and dishonest when the best I can say is "I didn't see it" or "the ref had the better view" when I don't understand what's going on.

I've actually wondered this a lot recently when acting as the senior AR (and I assume would apply as 4th official as well) - what do you say when asked if you either didn't see what the referee gave a foul for, or did see and disagree?

In a world without comms, I find myself explaining decisions I understand, but then feel both useless and dishonest when the best I can say is "I didn't see it" or "the ref had the better view" when I don't understand what's going on.
If you know the referee was wrong, don't agree with them. It makes you look a fool. Try to say something neutral if possible, something like 'we have different angles'. You've not dropped the referee in it, and you haven't agreed with the manager.

However, if the referee has made a massive mistake, don't defend the indefensible. It's pointless and will turn the managers against you, causing havoc for the rest of the match!

@Jake Northwood I think you are quite right this is an appalling thing to say, this could be used as an example of bigging him up in a way. "Look manager he has seen a foul, good job really as i didn't. That's what he is there for now give it a rest". I do agree with Richard though if he has shouted that loudly at me using those words i would be going over for a more public rebuke.

@CA is right here, stay as neutral as you can, i did this on Saturday. Ref disallowed a goal and i didn't have a clue why but was being asked, my reply was, look we have the same view i didn't see an infringement but look at his position, he is right on top of it and obviously did. Ask me again after half time.

I had something similar last week. I was bench side when the referee ruled out a penalty appeal and from where I was stood it looked nailed on, the attacking team certainly thought so and the defending team manager inflamed it by saying it should have been a penalty. The referee said the defender clearly played the ball, and the Observer who was looking from the far side and therefore the same angle as the referee agreed with him. Attacking team came to us at half time and asked me if I thought it was a foul, and I just replied that it certainly looked it from our angle as there was no way we could have seen the touch on the ball. The referee then explained what he saw and everyone was generally happy.

What is clear though is the referee cannot kill his assistant as described in the OP, that does nothing for team work or respect and he really needs to take a look at himself.

Disappointing when this happens. I remember sending off a player for a 2nd yellow for a dive and the AR was agreeing with the player that it was harsh! It's unprofessional.
When you're on the line and you don't know what it was, as others stated, just say 'hey, I've got the same view of it you did - the ref has obviously seen something we couldn't!'. There can actually be a good chance to build rapport here if you don't respond in an overly officious manner....but of course you want to balance that against not undermining the referee.

In the OP though - it's disappointing from the referee to drop the AR in it that way.

But that does raise the question - how do you respond to 'what was that for?' when you're the ref and you have no idea what your AR flagged for? Sometimes you can fudge the answer a bit, take a bit of a guess

Still, we've got a manager with ongoing dissent, and a comment swearing at the referee and the ref has failed to deal with it. Either a lack of professionalism or an unwillingness to deal with the behaviour of those at the match is pervading this referee's game; it's unsurprising that he doesn't have his AR's back. It probably never occurred to him what that comment would be like.

I hate this ... but do love giving a sarcastic answer ... when the ref gives a free kick in the far far corner from where you are ...

manager: *what was that for lino?*
me: *mate, we are literally 5 foot apart, how does my view differ to yours?*

my best was a few months ago, player was almost on top of me - does the most obvious use of hand ball ever, I mean he was a racquet away from playing tennis ... I flag it - cue complaints from everyone the other side of the pitch, and all spectators - except the player himself? lol he just looked at me, chuckled and said 'worth a try lino ay?' ... couldn't agree more!

I hate this ... but do love giving a sarcastic answer ... when the ref gives a free kick in the far far corner from where you are ...

manager: *what was that for lino?*
me: *mate, we are literally 5 foot apart, how does my view differ to yours?*

my best was a few months ago, player was almost on top of me - does the most obvious use of hand ball ever, I mean he was a racquet away from playing tennis ... I flag it - cue complaints from everyone the other side of the pitch, and all spectators - except the player himself? lol he just looked at me, chuckled and said 'worth a try lino ay?' ... couldn't agree more!

Agree, the other side of the same coin is when managers say "You saw that lino, why didn't you flag" when the incident has taken place some 50 yards outside your "credibility zone"!

I was wondering what everybody thought about what I saw last night.

Watching a local game last night in the West Midlands Regional league so the match had 3 officials.. Home manager getting very aggressive towards all 3 officials after not agreeing with some decisions going against them..

Play goes into the bottom LH corner and the linesman flags for a foul against the home/attacking side. As the referee trots back up to his position for the restart the Mangers pipes up "what the ********* was that for ref". And to my surprise the referee replies " I don't know (name) the linesman flagged for that I didn't see anything, you'll have to ask him".

I thought this was kind of stitching him up a bit and allowing him to be hassled when he came back up towards the half way line.
Basically my question is would you have said you'd seen the foul and stuck
together trying to take the shine away for the less senior linesman or how could you have worded it differently.
very pooir from the referee, and if the coach had been as much of a pillock as you say ..... was a perfect chance to get rid of hiim or are english referees ignoring the new foul language directive already

Back