A&H

Open Age Starting Open age football

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
So it has finally been decided that I can finally start adult football after physical as well as mentality problems.

I'm going to be doing Christian league middles or Anglian combination premier lines (supply league) and u19 development league middles on a Sunday.

Just wondering if there is any advice anyone can offer if it is to do with preparation like training (physical or mental) or even things for matchday/on the pitch?

The Referee Store
So it has finally been decided that I can finally start adult football after physical as well as mentality problems.

I'm going to be doing Christian league middles or Anglian combination premier lines (supply league) and u19 development league middles on a Sunday.

Just wondering if there is any advice anyone can offer if it is to do with preparation like training (physical or mental) or even things for matchday/on the pitch?

'Physical and mentality problems'?

reoccurring injuries and mentality problems that I would prefer not to go into.....

So why even mention it?

Did you really expect no one to ask?

No I didn't, I just thought any advice on mental strength could be included, knowing that I have had problems in that area, could help with advice

No I didn't, I just thought any advice on mental strength could be included, knowing that I have had problems in that area, could help with advice
How can we offer advice unless we know what the problem is?

Sorry, but far too vague for any advice to be worthwhile.

Tbf padfoot, I'm sure lots of people can provide tips on mental strength. Perhaps not specific to Ryan, but general advice can still be used to help him...

How can we offer advice unless we know what the problem is?

Sorry, but far too vague for any advice to be worthwhile.
Have you just come on this forum to start an argument at every chance padfoot because I'm sure that most people understand what Ryan has said, he has had some problems before and just wants a bit of general advice (like Callum said) that might help his game, there is no need to have a go at him for asking for advice.

@Ryan I can't really help you too much as I can't do open age for another year but I would suggest that you do a bit of research on the teams you will be refing at the weekend, (ie, is it normally a feisty game, local derby, is there something for each team to play for, promotion/relegation, does one of the teams have a lunatic player that it would be better to deal with early on)
You will be able to find the match related stuff in the league tables but the other info will have to come from other refs and as you do more games you will soon learn who to watch out for etc.
I have managed to do this for the U14 games that I do and I have worked out who are the key players in each team and how to effectively deal with them and this is only after one season so as you do more matches you will become better at this.
I would also recommend going to watch a better referee than yourself in action in your league before your first game, see how they deal with the game and hopefully pick ul some tips from them as well

Good luck though mate, you'll be fine :)

Hull, i agree with you that padfoot seems unneccessarily feisty on this thread tho he does underline why admitting to mental health issues remains such a largely taboo subject in our society in general...tho perhaps your use of the word 'lunatic' was somewhat unfortunate

Not having a go at anyone, much less Ryan.....just a bit befuddled as to how to help with so little info to go on. Totally understand and respect Ryan's desire not to open up to the forum......and apologise if i have offended him.

Probably the best advice i can offer to anyone who is of a sensitive disposition is to stay away from OA football until you are sure you can handle 22 (plus unknown amounts of spectators etc) grown men getting all mardy and in your face because they don't agree with your decision.
There are some absolutely sound players and managers in OA football....but there also some real idiots........and the 80/20 rule comes into play. You will spend 80% of your time dealing with the 20% who are idiots. You will remember the idiots far longer than you will remember the decent ones.

I would hope that before making the decision to enter into OA you have gone and watched a fair few games on Sundays or Saturdays for whichever leagues you are choosing to go on? That way you will have a good idea of the behaviour standard you can expect to have to manage.
I would suspect that the christian league will be less aggravation, but i have heard "stories" from other refs who have done similar leagues. The lines will be an excellent introduction into OA and most referees should look after you in your first season. The development league should again be less aggro but will be fast and furious in pace!

I hope you have a fantastic season and overcome any issues you may have had. The best preparation for any match is to believe in yourself, then be confident in your decision making and don't let them grind you down. You will know more about the LOTG than they do, you will be right 99% of the time in your decision making and above all else, enjoy it.

Not having a go at anyone, much less Ryan.....just a bit befuddled as to how to help with so little info to go on. Totally understand and respect Ryan's desire not to open up to the forum......and apologise if i have offended him.

Probably the best advice i can offer to anyone who is of a sensitive disposition is to stay away from OA football until you are sure you can handle 22 (plus unknown amounts of spectators etc) grown men getting all mardy and in your face because they don't agree with your decision.
There are some absolutely sound players and managers in OA football....but there also some real idiots........and the 80/20 rule comes into play. You will spend 80% of your time dealing with the 20% who are idiots. You will remember the idiots far longer than you will remember the decent ones.

I would hope that before making the decision to enter into OA you have gone and watched a fair few games on Sundays or Saturdays for whichever leagues you are choosing to go on? That way you will have a good idea of the behaviour standard you can expect to have to manage.
I would suspect that the christian league will be less aggravation, but i have heard "stories" from other refs who have done similar leagues. The lines will be an excellent introduction into OA and most referees should look after you in your first season. The development league should again be less aggro but will be fast and furious in pace!

I hope you have a fantastic season and overcome any issues you may have had. The best preparation for any match is to believe in yourself, then be confident in your decision making and don't let them grind you down. You will know more about the LOTG than they do, you will be right 99% of the time in your decision making and above all else, enjoy it.

No need to have a go a him in the first place really, he was just providing a reason as to why he hasn't already gone into OA. Ryan doesn't want advice for his mentality problems in the past at all, he was just looking for general tips about what to expect etc.

I agree with the idea of watching some games first, that sounds like a good idea. Although I'm obviously not the most qualified to offer advice on this topic, I would recommend throwing yourself in the deep end as that is the best way to learn quickly - as long as you are aware with the potential issues that could arise.

The suggestion of going along to view OA games before committing yourself is a great one. Take the opportunity to Talk to the ref, see how he goes about business. Get a feel for how OA works as the pressures are mostly on the pitch rather than on the sidelines like in youth football.

I was put on the line in OA football before taking charge on my own, I found that helped a lot. Particularly in matches where you can be the junior AR with no bench to look out for.

I was put on the line in OA football before taking charge on my own, I found that helped a lot. Particularly in matches where you can be the junior AR with no bench to look out for.
Interesting that actually, as I found the opposite. I found that when I was bench-side, I learnt a lot more for my future refereeing at that level than when I was far-side. Admittedly, I did only do one season as a Supply AR before moving to Supply middles.

I assume that the appointments secretary knows that it will be your first game? They will make sure you get teams who are generally well behaved. Make sure you get a mentor out for the first one - I did that for mine last season and it was so much better knowing that there was someone there on my side - even if just to say at half-time 'you got it right' when 11 grown men will be telling you otherwise. I was nervous about my first one, but ended up with only 1 card.

Back