• Second

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
The SPFL put this video up asking fans to be the referee and decide on these two penalty claims:

Discuss...

The Referee Store
First
Defender managed to 'legally' get in between the ball and attacker's swing at the ball

Second
Defender is preparing to block the low shot with foot / leg and it is deflected up onto his arm that looks to be in an natural-ish position by his side

NEITHER :)

Same as alex71 neither for the same reasons. First no way, second his arms were up but it is a natural position when you are lunging to stop a low shot with your foot, your hands don't stay by your side

Surely though, in the first, the defender has placed his leg in front of the attacker and impeded him without playing the ball?
Look at the way he goes down. His arms are in the air. This means that he exaggerated it - if it was a genuine foul and a genuine fall then as a reflex he would have put his arms out on front of him to break his fall.

Just because he exaggerates it doesn't mean it's not a foul does it?

I think he was impeded when he tried to take a shot/kick the ball by a defender who made no contact with the ball. A trip at the very least. He can wave his arms around all he likes but if it's a foul, it's a foul.

Just because he exaggerates it doesn't mean it's not a foul does it?

I think he was impeded when he tried to take a shot/kick the ball by a defender who made no contact with the ball. A trip at the very least. He can wave his arms around all he likes but if it's a foul, it's a foul.
For me the defender gets himself within playing distance of the ball in between attacker and ball then the attacker kicks the back of the defenders leg. No foul.

First
Defender managed to 'legally' get in between the ball and attacker's swing at the ball

Second
Defender is preparing to block the low shot with foot / leg and it is deflected up onto his arm that looks to be in an natural-ish position by his side

NEITHER :)
I thought the second actually hit his head so no foul, if I thought it hit his hand at the position he was I would give a penalty. Maybe I need glasses

I thought the second actually hit his head so no foul, if I thought it hit his hand at the position he was I would give a penalty. Maybe I need glasses
Assuming it did hit his hand (although I agree, it doesn't look like it did), how can you possibly say that it is deliberate? It comes at him from point blank range.

Both are not a penalty. In respect of the first one if you watch the video closely you will see that as the attacker enters the box he takes a touch of the ball that pushes it into the path of the defender who is running alongside the attacker. The attacker then tries to shoot and kicks the back of the defenders leg causing the attacker to fall over and tripping the defender up.

I have to admit that watching it at normal speed, I gave the penalty. It was only after reading the comments above and seeing the slowed down version for the umpteenth time that I actually saw what really happened. So I can understand why the ref gave the first. Second one though, not in my opinion.

I have to admit that watching it at normal speed, I gave the penalty. It was only after reading the comments above and seeing the slowed down version for the umpteenth time that I actually saw what really happened. So I can understand why the ref gave the first. Second one though, not in my opinion.

The ref gave neither.

i'm going neither as well, i think though if i were reffing this game and only got the chance to see it once, i could be twitching a bit to give the first one, but when you see it replayed then defo not

First impression - it's Hearts so penalty keep them in negative points ;) Then as a referee I think that the first one wasn't at first but contact at second look. Second one looked to of hit the defender in the head.

Back