A&H

Junior/Youth Spectators who think they're playing

Kieran W

Due to the length of the FOP the Respect barrier at today's game didn't reach the full length; so there was space either side where a few spectators stood. I was OK with this as they were still in line with the barrier and weren't interfering at all.

Until....

The ball is played down the touchline fairly close to the line. CAR doesn't flag as ball is still in play but it is clear the ball is going to run through to the GK with no players reaching it. For some reason a spectator decides to run forwards and stick his leg out to stop the ball! Whistle blown and now got to explain a drop-ball procedure to under 12s

Spectator quickly disappears back into the crowd, no doubt very embarrassed :rolleyes:

The Referee Store
Does the league have match delegates from each club? You could insist that they keep spectators behind the tape so not near the ends if the pitch.

I had a real issue with this in a u8 game last year. Box of tea cups on touchline that ball smashed into, umbrellas stuck into ground just behind touchline and then your incident as above @Kieran W . One parent was quite cross that i stopped the game to get stuff moved!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the league have match delegates from each club? You could insist that they keep spectators behind the tape so not near the ends if the pitch.

Unfortunately, no they don't. Because of the amount of spectators there was people along the whole touchline and I imagine they wouldn't be happy if I asked them to stand behind others and they couldn't see.

I had a real issue with this in a u8 game last year. Box of tea cups on touchline that ball smashed into, umbrellas stuck into ground just behind touchline and then your incident as above @Kieran W . One parent was quite cross that i stopped the game to get stuff moved!

I've had cones being left on the touchline after the warm-up, luckily spotted them before play went near. I hate not having a respect barrier and it's great that the league now expects clubs to have them in place and requires all referees to submit a Respect match report after every game where we can report if they've not been used.

Unfortunately, no they don't. Because of the amount of spectators there was people along the whole touchline and I imagine they wouldn't be happy if I asked them to stand behind others and they couldn't see.
This really annoys me about spectators at youth football. Clubs should be having the respect line - and it should be a physical barrier, if only tape - and parents etc should be behind it. If everybody stays behind the tape, everybody can see the entire game. As soon as one person starts pushing forwards, everybody else has to move in order to maintain their view. Before you know it they're spilling on to the pitch. If I see its a problem (and the problem might be the CAR/NAR not being able to see the line), at a break in play I'll have a word, although typically that only solves the problem for a few minutes, before the drifters start pushing forwards again. :mad:

Oh the joys of "respect lines" or lack of them! :confused:

Took charge of an u10s cup game a few years ago. Throughout the first half away team parents kept creeping forward and eventually noticeably beyond the line and very close to the pitch. Politely asked them show some respect for their own children playing the match and step back behind the line, which they did albeit with a few mumbles and grumbles. When I blew for half time, ball stopped a couple of feet away from the parents. Walked over to retrieve it and return it to the centre ready for the 2nd half, as I picked the ball up, one mother sarcastically said, "sorry ref, we would have got the ball for you, but we are not allowed to cross the respect line".

Had another game where the ball was running out of play, player jogging towards ball is seeing it out as it will be his throw and no opponent anywhere near, however parent then thinks he's being "helpful/clever" by stepping forward and picks up the ball to throw to the player prior to it actually going out of play. Didn't take to kindly to me telling him to step back away from the pitch and not interfere with the game again!

Minor bugbear, but also annoys me a tad (whether it's as a ref or spectator) where a home side uses cones (possibly because they don't have a tape), they are set up for all to see prior to parents arrival, but yet some/many still want to stand beyond the line or even on the pitch prior to kick off and only decide to move back once the players line up to start.

Is this not an issue that is easily solved if you give the home team a small briefing of their responsibilities before the game.

'So who will be doing assistant duties? Can you make sure the respect line is adhered to so he isn't blocked by over keen Parents?!' Big smile at the end and problem solved!

Had a funny one Saturday on a line I was on.

I was the senior AR so had the bench side. Pitch is surrounded my a metal barrier separating the FOP from a tarmac path the whole way around for speccy's. Barrier is about 5-10 feet from the touch lines.

Half way through second half a guy comes into my view when play is in the other half to mine, as he's over the barrier on the grass bellowing at away strikers and directing play. He does this for a couple of minutes, edging closer to the pitch by the second. The guy is particularly poorly dressed in loafers with no socks, short legged jeans, tracksuit top and comb-over.

Play comes down to my half and ends up with a clash of heads between home striker and away keeper. Both are down so I spy my chance after the initial assessment and run up the line to politely ask the away manager if he's with them, if he's part of the coaching team could he please remain in the technical area (he clearly wasn't) and if he was a spectator to return behind the barrier.

The manager sorted it quickly and with no fuss to his credit, but the blokes face as he returned behind the barrier was an absolute picture!!

To quote Peter Kay 'It was like I broke into his house on Christmas Day and pissed on his kids'.

(I hereby predict someone giving you a bollocking for not watching field of play)

Nice common sense approach!

Back