A&H

Something a friend sent me on Facebook what we thinking

The Referee Store
For me I would be sending him off for the gesture. It doesn't matter what provoked it you can not do that. I would also probably be abandoning aswell due to fan behavior

Yeah probably the exact same and I'd be reporting the team for not controlling there spectators

Ref had no choice but to red card him. But the racist comments need to be dealt with. Spectators need to be dismissed or the match abandoned. If the racism can't be removed, the match doesn't continue.

You said you'd keep the player on and I'm wandering why
It's is something that I think is best managed, plus the supporters shouting deserve it, then it also saves the hassle afterwards.

Quick jog up to him, "common (insert players name) lets get on with the game, you can't do anything about it at the moment, wait until after the game"

I believe it would go a long way

Ok but probably like most the assessors on here you'd probably be getting some questions on why you not sent him but I can understand

I'd say personally that you've managed the player but however in law you should be dismissing him from field of play

It's is something that I think is best managed, plus the supporters shouting deserve it, then it also saves the hassle afterwards.

Quick jog up to him, "common (insert players name) lets get on with the game, you can't do anything about it at the moment, wait until after the game"

I believe it would go a long way
And when he fails to calm down, demands YOU do something about the spectators and then takes the law into his own hands when they keep abusing him, what do you do then?

And when he fails to calm down, demands YOU do something about the spectators and then takes the law into his own hands when they keep abusing him, what do you do then?
Explain that there is nothing I can do to spectators in a 45,000 seater stadium, I can only control what happens on the pitch and at the moment I am the only thing standing between him and a red card.

If he carries on, much like I would do with dissent (ie. The three card trick) I would then have no option but to dismiss him. But by using my strategy, there is a chance of being able to keep a player (who has been a victim of racial abuse and is in an irrational state of mind) on the pitch once he calms down.

Explain that there is nothing I can do to spectators in a 45,000 seater stadium, I can only control what happens on the pitch and at the moment I am the only thing standing between him and a red card.

If he carries on, much like I would do with dissent (ie. The three card trick) I would then have no option but to dismiss him. But by using my strategy, there is a chance of being able to keep a player (who has been a victim of racial abuse and is in an irrational state of mind) on the pitch once he calms down.
So he reacts by attacking a fan, what do you do then?

You can do something to the 45,000 fans. You can get your 4th official to arrange for an announcement to be made over the PA that the game will be abandoned and if the abuse continues, you abandon. Let the hosting FA deal with the charge that comes from their administrative body.

If you transfer this to a grassroots game (and I mean a parks game now), you approach an official from the home club and ask them to remove the abusive person. If they fail to do so, you threaten to abandon. If they fail to take action, abandon and report.

Deploy stun grenade. Never referee without one! :D
I carry them too, it's called a threat to abandon and report :D

On a wider level, football authorities need to start taking serious action regarding offensive behaviour from spectators. Unfortunately I sense a danger that referees may be left "holding the baby" and we must avoid this. This incident is another in a well publicised list of abuse, walk offs and abandonments, several of which have implied criticism of referees. We do have a responsibility to deal with spectators and I have no problem doing so but there is a limit on what we can realistically see, hear and control. Don't let the authorities pass the buck on this!

So he reacts by attacking a fan, what do you do then?

You can do something to the 45,000 fans. You can get your 4th official to arrange for an announcement to be made over the PA that the game will be abandoned and if the abuse continues, you abandon. Let the hosting FA deal with the charge that comes from their administrative body.

If you transfer this to a grassroots game (and I mean a parks game now), you approach an official from the home club and ask them to remove the abusive person. If they fail to do so, you threaten to abandon. If they fail to take action, abandon and report.

I carry them too, it's called a threat to abandon and report :D
Yeah I see what you mean Brian and I fully appreciate the way that you would go about dealing with this at grassroots level, as I would do the same. However I don't think, at the minute, your solution to this in the professional game would work, I still think a quick word with the player, explaining that the racist comments will be reported after the game would go a long way in calming him down and resolving the matter without the need for a controversial dismissal

Back