A&H

Junior/Youth Some advice on abandonment due to injury

SLI39

This morning I had to abandon an U14 match due to a serious injury. A real shame for the lad (suspected broken tibia)--one of his teammates was fouled innocuously, and instead of clearing the ball he collided nastily with this other boy. The emergency services took some time to arrive and had to come onto the pitch, so there was no option to continue.
This is the first time I have had to deal with something of this nature, so I was wondering whether I am supposed to inform the league/county FA that the match was not completed. I expect the clubs will be contacting them as well, but I wanted to be proactive. Also, I cannot find the teams on Whole Game.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
You would need to inform the relevant competition. So, for a league match, however you normally send in your match reports.

You would only need to inform county if it was a county cup match, or if an abandonment was due to misconduct.

Thank you; I'll mention it to my referees' secretary and email the club with the league sec copied in, but this match was in a youth division where the referees are not asked to do match reports (clubs send results).

Thank you; I'll mention it to my referees' secretary and email the club with the league sec copied in, but this match was in a youth division where the referees are not asked to do match reports (clubs send results).

So best way to advise how to report is report it to whomever you would report a breach of competition rules to. For example, No nets in goals, missing corner flags, team a didnt arrive til 10 past so kick off was dealyed until 11 past. The leagues i do have a match reports but if not, ref sec or competition sec are usually a safe bet.

If the league is fa affiliated it should be on whole game, it somtimes takes some fiddling with to find the right combination of leagues and teams.

If the league is fa affiliated it should be on whole game, it somtimes takes some fiddling with to find the right combination of leagues and teams.
particularly at juniour level as same age groups can have multiple teams distinguished by another name e.g park footy whites and park footy blues and park footy dragons etc.

No need to touch WGS unless there were any cautions, sendings off or misconduct. If there were then you report them as normal and tick the box to say the game wasn't completed.

Otherwise you need to let the appointing authority know the circumstances surrounding the abandonment.

We don't have WGS system in Scotland but if you are abandoning a game you do need to report the reason why.

Back