A&H

Sock Tape

Remember we are not there to assess the referee any more, we are there to observe, and the FA are very clear that the emphasis should be on coaching that referee to help him achieve the next level rather than finding faults to prevent them getting there. Although I suspect the newer generation of assessors, now observers, have seen it that way for ages any way.

I would personally welcome a referee speaking to me about this before the game, as long as it is done in the right way. If he said "do you mind if I don't bother checking the player's kit" I wouldn't be impressed, whereas if he said "I've done the checks and I'm struggling with undershorts as the away team have three different colours of shorts", or "the away keeper is wearing black but he has nothing to change into that doesn't clash with the two teams" I would offer him guidance as he has shown initiative. Obviously I would tell him to report it to the league after, but the emphasis at that level should always be to get the game played.

The Referee Store
That modern logic is lost on me RR, so if someone is making an absolute pigs ear of a game and is in the wrong career your remit is to 'coach' or 'mollycoddle' a poor referee into achieving promotion? Some referees need telling how it is not blow smoke up their derriere!

When getting assessed, I always have to contact the assessor prior to the game. I don't know if this is standard practice but if it isn't it should be.
At this point, I'll always ask him/her about their thoughts on sock tape/under garmounts. Since doing this every assessor I've had at Sunday League level has said they're not overly interested however the one time I got assessed before I started doing this, it got picked up immediately on my pre-match. Maybe it was just by total coincident but I have the feeling that assessors are more interested in spotting such a pedantic infringement such as a sock tape rather than preventing at grass roots level.
Standard practice is for the observer to contact the referee. If I was asked the same question I would say to just do your job.

That modern logic is lost on me RR, so if someone is making an absolute pigs ear of a game and is in the wrong career your remit is to 'coach' or 'mollycoddle' a poor referee into achieving promotion? Some referees need telling how it is not blow smoke up their derriere!
They won't get above L5 if they are no good. If they do happen to be able to run in circles fast enough for 12 minutes and twice down half the straight, put in 3 decent performances and actually get to L4, they will get found out or they will actually develop into a half decent referee.

Not bad Daz. Internal promotion in the day job and hoping to secure another in the weekend "job". Still busy. Out twice this weekend with the pen and pad, so that's next Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday nights as write-offs. See you're going back to your roots ;)

Maybe I should start a different thread to explain.....

Back