A&H

SMR v ENG penalty

The Referee Store
Should have been sent off. Violent karate chop on the ball.

On another note.... Pretty sure I've seen a fair few foul throws tonight?

Missed it in real time, on replay I think I'd be giving it, but I'd be annoyed I'd have to. Just one of those things.

If the ref had given it, VAR would have agreed and whilst it would have been harsh I could see where it’s coming from. However, for VAR to overrule the original decision is so odd. There is no way it can be classed as Clear and Obvious. Cannot believe that decision, what a joke. Not a pen.

Thoughts on that goal? Very odd stuff

First penalty commentators were insisting it was nailed on; studio disagreed. Harsh but by the letter of the law, I can sell it to myself.

Abraham caution/Bellingham goal; I can sympathise with it. Studs to the knee, lacking care or consideration for the opponent… again, harsh but I can sell it. I also think that’s more of a game management foul and card.

Quite a few to San Marino, and it might boil into a revenge challenge if not called.

For Bellingham's goal.... Hasn't the 'phase of play' changed therefore VAR shouldn't have been involved??

The 'foul' occurred.
Then Gallagher had his shot.
Cleared. Crossed in. Poor clearance. Goal.

As far as I can tell, whether there is hand-ball contact is considered a factual matter. So if the contact can be determined from the camera angles, the fact of contact is established. The same applies to over the line calls and OSP. (Whether that should be the standard is a separate question.) Whether it was deliberate or making him unnaturally bigger, as I understand it, is a judgment determination that would be C&O.

Are top flight refs instructed to caution for EVERY penalty handball?
Because wtf is the caution for? Seriously?

Back