A&H

Signals

Matt Redmond

Level 7 Referee
If the referee has given a free kick nearest to you and its an obvious one, do you still signal for it? It just seems and looks silly to.

Not sure.

The Referee Store
If the ref has blown there is probably no need to flag, but having said that if it's within your zone so to speak or where ever the ref has briefed you then you should be flagging for any foul you see.

Flag with or before the whistle, but not after - it makes it clear that it's not your decision.

Yup.......keep flag down.

Eye contact is crucial - if I see a foul I look to the ref before flagging anyway, he is either raising the whistle to his lips (seen the foul and giving it), looking at me (not sure if it's a foul, needs help), raising his arms to signal advantage (flag going up as he shouts 'Advantage;' is a recipe for loss of control) or not doing anything at all.

Whichever one, I know what's in the ref's mind and can 'Assist'.

How would you signal a goal kick if it was a long ball out of play and you are stood a long way away from the goal area (eg. on the half way line)?

Do you just signal from where you are stood? Or run closer to the goal and signal? Etc.....

Won't you be chasing the ball towards the goal line anyway? And then spotting the goal kick? Just head down to the six yard box and flag as normal.

(*subject to referee's instructions re; flagging)

How would you signal a goal kick if it was a long ball out of play and you are stood a long way away from the goal area (eg. on the half way line)?

Do you just signal from where you are stood? Or run closer to the goal and signal? Etc.....
Depends, if it's an obvious punt down field and goes straight out of play, I probably wouldn't signal - everyone knows anyway!

Certainly not going to sprint half the length of a pitch to signal a GK, but if it was from a deflection, or not clearly a GK, then I would get myself at least in the same half of the field, and signal in the usual way - pointing at the corner of the goal area.

The arm signal for GK and CK are so different that I don't thing you need to be that close to be able to clearly indicate - althoug it does depend on the situation.

I'd run down to the goal line, in my experience as an assistant your expected to ensure that the ball is in the goal area so you'd need to go there anyway

Back