A&H

Semi-Final Appointment

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
So, somehow I've got myself into some real trouble with the league now! I've been appointed to referee a league cup semi-final under floodlights next week, and while I'm obviously pleased that someone thinks I've done well enough to get the appointment, I am already nervous. I know nothing about either of the teams involved as I've not done them this season, and while I will do a bit of research, I'm wondering whether I should be doing anything out of the ordinary or try to work like it's any other game.

One thing I will have to adapt to - neutral lines. It's the first time I'll have ever had neutral ARs to work with, and while I've been an AR plenty of times, it's going to be odd being on the other side.

The Referee Store
So, somehow I've got myself into some real trouble with the league now! I've been appointed to referee a league cup semi-final under floodlights next week, and while I'm obviously pleased that someone thinks I've done well enough to get the appointment, I am already nervous. I know nothing about either of the teams involved as I've not done them this season, and while I will do a bit of research, I'm wondering whether I should be doing anything out of the ordinary or try to work like it's any other game.

One thing I will have to adapt to - neutral lines. It's the first time I'll have ever had neutral ARs to work with, and while I've been an AR plenty of times, it's going to be odd being on the other side.

All I can say is, don't worry about not knowing the teams, a clean slate can be a good thing. Treat it like a normal game, don't think of the occasion. The players will, it's better if you don't in all honesty, imo. Maybe up your game a bit, sterner when disciplining the teams, slow the game down and don't let them rush you with restarts etc, it's a big game, nice and calm.

Enjoy it, you've earned it.

First time with NAR's, you've obviously heard pre match when you've been AR yourself. Think about what they said, maybe speak to a couple in the days before the game and get them to write down theirs and you can tweak it to suit you. Remember they'll be qualified referees so give them a bit more reign on decisions, trust them. Even if you think they may be wrong if they lead on a throw in, that you haven't got the right angle for, trust them and sell it. I bang on about respect at coin toss, and during the game. I'll tell the captains to respect us (officials) and we'll respect them. And then in the game, if players start going at your AR's for decisions they don't agree with, passing word to the captains, public bollocking to them, quick word before they go off at HT then get them cards out in the second half if needed.

Enoy the game!

Back