A&H

Schools County Football

you'd be crucified down here ...

we had to go to our county cup final evening in 'match day attire' i.e. suit and county tie!

then strictly told suits only for match days, no chinos, jeans etc etc

we've also been told that we all must wear the same length sleeve shirts - so if ref says he is wearing long sleeve, then we all have to replicate

Then your CFA would not have the dubious pleasure of employing my services.......they want us all to wear the same, it's some, supply the kit! Not as if they're short of brass!
Completely agree with Minty here. You (CFA) want me in a certain sleeve length? Provide me with the shirt. Otherwise, I'll do what I want (within the guidelines of course). I remember having an identical argument with a Supply League RefSec who "banned" long-sleeve undershirts with short-sleeve shirts. I duly informed him that on a cold day, I'd continue to do so, unless he wished to supply me with a badged, up-to-date, not-previously-owned, long sleeve shirt. Think it's safe to say this was the start of our downward spiral, that eventually resulted in a large slanging match...!

The Referee Store
@DanCohen17 I do agree in normal week to week games ...

but when you've been selected for a county final, and you have 2/3 months notice - in that time frame you can get what, at least 5/6 games in? that's £210 - are you honestly saying that out of that money you cannot spare £37 for a long sleeve shirt? I think not.

and that's the point I was raising, not on a week to week basis - if that was the case then yes, CFA can pay for the tops.

I agree with Charlie. It is an honour to get a county cup final and I would pay out to get long sleeved top if needed. Its not as if you would only wear it that one time. It would be become your winter shirt and that means both tops would last longer as they were not being washed as much.

@DanCohen17 I do agree in normal week to week games ...

but when you've been selected for a county final, and you have 2/3 months notice - in that time frame you can get what, at least 5/6 games in? that's £210 - are you honestly saying that out of that money you cannot spare £37 for a long sleeve shirt? I think not.

and that's the point I was raising, not on a week to week basis - if that was the case then yes, CFA can pay for the tops.
Don't care. I own what I want to own. If thats not what County want, buy me it!

If your referee is dictating the length of your shirt sleeves, that referee needs to chill the fooook out.

For County Cups and the Navy/Forces cups that I officiate, I ask my assistants to wear a shirt and tie. Short sleeve shirts look odd with a tie, if they want to look odd... that's their choice. Short sleeves are casual, long are smart. Most of us would wear a smart v-neck or zipped jumper with our suit trousers, even some go the whole hog and wear a blazer. I will not dictate what the referees wear to the game to that much detail. If they turn up looking smart, fantastic. Its their cup game aswell. They aren't representing me, they are representing their county. If they want to do so looking like a scranbag, that is their prerogative.

Matchday kit wise, what I do have, however is spare Nike kits. If my assistants don't have a Nike kit, I happily supply them with one (if it fits) so we can look the same when it matters, on the field. That's their choice though. So long as we do the job on the pitch to the best of our ability, that is what matters.

I will always wear a long sleeved shirt with smart trousers, nice shoes and smart jumper (with the RNFA logo). Match-kit wise, I do not own a long sleeved shirt, I will wear my under armour shirt underneath it if it's cold. As with Dan, if the representing FA want me in set attire that I don't own as standard, they can supply it. I do my utmost to look smart and presentable :)

Last edited:
that's a beautiful passage @DB ... and I love the detail but, my ol' china ... myself and @DanCohen17 disagreement is purley on the sleeve length of the match day shirt, and not the shirt worn with tie and trousers.

to not disappoint you though bud, I wear a short sleeve shirt with my Nike Midlayer top (not zipped up so tie is showing) trousers, shoes and a blazer ;)

Reactions: DB
Ohhhh I seeeeee... I kinda went of on a tangent aswell then.

Think of it this way; FA change their stance on coloured shirts. Imagine the cost in doing having short sleeved and long sleeved tops in different colours. If the County want you to all look the same, they have to meet you halfway and help you. It's all very well saying "it's only two match fees"... That is still your time, just as your wages at work are.

A quarter final Royal Navy Cup game I officiated in last season - we were supplied with shirts by the RN. We didn't need them because all of us had the new Nike kit with the crown on; but if we didn't, we would have had them available. We handed them back straight after the game.

I personally think for Cup finals they should provide a kit ...

should have a couple of sizes of each kit - let them no prior to the final what size you'll need, and they provide it for the match day - after, into a kit bag and the CFA rep takes it back to be dry cleaned.

I don't see any difference in doing that to when you play for a team and the manager kept all the shirts and shorts?

and by all means, if you feel off by that then buy your own to match - least the league are offering you the free kit for usage.

Cannot give schools football enough credit for my personal development as a ref over the last 3 years. I've officiated in 2 national finals and 2 international fixtures and have definitely learnt an awful lot.

Yes, some of this has come from being in the right place doing the right game at the right time with ESFA committee members watching but for me the first impressions are a big part of someone's opinion of a referee. Turn up in a shirt and people will immediately think you're taking the game more seriously than someone who turns up in a tracksuit or jeans so if it's what a competition want, I say just go with it because you never know where I could help you out further down the line.

couldn't agree more @jack.prescott - although I do feel sometimes that officials turning out in a suit and the players in tracksuits does make us seem a little more aloof and creates a big 'us and them' divide

In all evening games, regardless of level and requirement I always arrive in a suit as usually travelled straight from work. On the usual parks football it isn't an issue and I've seen colleagues rock up in tracksuits and not remove them to officiate the game as its too cold!

couldn't agree more @jack.prescott - although I do feel sometimes that officials turning out in a suit and the players in tracksuits does make us seem a little more aloof and creates a big 'us and them' divide
So you mean like 99.9% of Supply & Contrib games then? Officials required to turn up suited & booted and players will almost always be in club tracksuits. No "us & them", it's so common and regular that it's not even spoken about!

Back