A&H

Schools County Football

Tino Best

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Hi I have been appointed too a Schools county fixture this weekend and I will be working with NARs which I am really looking forward to. The question I am asking is what would you wear to the game. I normally ref where there are no facilities so travel in a clean smart tracksuit but there is food laid on afterwards so should I be suited or track suited?

The Referee Store
Suited not an issue county tie is an issue. Didnt know you could evan get a county tie, and I am ihave a different parent FA to who I am registerred with as the courses in my parent county I couldnt do so I did my course in a neighboring county. Great course. I did try another neighboroughing county but Essex FA were not very communicative so didnt get very far at all with them. They just reffered me back to Suffolk!
Any way the game is on Saturday so evan if I knew which tie I was entitled to I haven't got time to get one.

Suit and boot. Dont worry too much about the tie. No one is looking at your tie. They will however be looking at you if you're in a tracksuit.

As a general rule, countyappointments, district appointments and supply league or above you should attend in a suit.

Cheers every one. Its good to know these things. Quite surprised I got the appointment but despite only qualifying last december I was reffing unbadged for three seasons, although I had done the safe guarding course and was CRB checked. After I did the course I am a much better ref now than I ever was. I look back and cringe at how bad I was although never got any abuse or had any problems. I will probably get that tomorrow!

Reactions: DB
in that case, as James says, suited and booted is fine - if you have a kind of plain navy tie, that'll be perfect.
in terms of getting a CFA tie, when you register for next season on WGS, there will be a 'tick list' which includes a county handbook, CFA badge, LOTG 2017/18 ... and also a CFA tie

you might even be able to order one through the WGS now? not so sure though

good luck with the game

Thats good to know. I was registered by Cambridgeshire so I didn't see anything of that. I got LOTG through my course and I got the Suffolk hand book online so I downloaded it to my phone.

Yep, when you re-register, get that county tie - it doesn't matter too much if you have the "wrong" county tie, as coaches understand that sometime you travel across county borders. But if you start getting these higher level appointments regularly, you should probably have one.

Last edited:
County tie! They struggle to get me to turn out to cup matches in anything other than my kit......may wear Chinos and a shirt........but never a tie!

All three refs were suited and booted, one with a respect tie one with a count tie and my spotty tie. The two elder ARs were suited and booted both with county ties, the 4 younger ARs were just in kit and track suits. Lovely warm dressing room. I t was great at HT to warm up. Any way I was told if I asked for one my RDO would sort one for me.

County tie! They struggle to get me to turn out to cup matches in anything other than my kit......may wear Chinos and a shirt........but never a tie!

you'd be crucified down here ...

we had to go to our county cup final evening in 'match day attire' i.e. suit and county tie!

then strictly told suits only for match days, no chinos, jeans etc etc

we've also been told that we all must wear the same length sleeve shirts - so if ref says he is wearing long sleeve, then we all have to replicate

This wasn't a final just a game although I could find no record of any county schools league anywhere. I do a lot of youth football with no facilities so I turn up in a track suit as I am not getting changed in a car park. In Suffolk at youth level this is the accepted norm. Niever done a county cup or any final so I don't know what the convention is on sleeves. There is no one else from Suffolk on here so I will find out if I ever get a final. My normal kit is a nike short sleeved although I wear a black compression top at the moment. I do have a long sleeved top but it is Adidas has bits of yellow on it so would not match my shorts, but I do have black and yellow shorts. Also a red top for reffing dark blues after having reffed a team who wear dark blue and twice having to put a bib on as the opposition confused me with a player. Not worn yet as I have had 2 matches postponed this year so have only done 2 middles.

you'd be crucified down here ...

we had to go to our county cup final evening in 'match day attire' i.e. suit and county tie!

then strictly told suits only for match days, no chinos, jeans etc etc

we've also been told that we all must wear the same length sleeve shirts - so if ref says he is wearing long sleeve, then we all have to replicate
Then your CFA would not have the dubious pleasure of employing my services.......they want us all to wear the same, it's some, supply the kit! Not as if they're short of brass!

I would like to think it is my youthful good looks, but I am 45 with glasses and receding since my twentys!. I think it might be the fact I can keep up with play realy well, at this youth level I have to check my pace as I would find myself in front of play if I was not careful. As I said I now have a spare shirt, but if one team says they have an issue surely a bib for 90 mins is not the end of the world rather than a disgruntled coach.

Then your CFA would not have the dubious pleasure of employing my services.......they want us all to wear the same, it's some, supply the kit! Not as if they're short of brass!

That's fair enough mate ... personally though I think we all get paid to do the job, average £30 a game - I don't think taking 2 match fees for a shirt when you've had the honour of getting a cup final isn't an issue

That's fair enough mate ... personally though I think we all get paid to do the job, average £30 a game - I don't think taking 2 match fees for a shirt when you've had the honour of getting a cup final isn't an issue
i totally agree, as my brother says, you never get a second chance to make a first impression,suit, blazer./trousers always a tie

Back