A&H

Rest and Recovery

Matthew

RefChat Addict
I'm coming to the end of a mad few days where I'll have reffed five games in six days and I'm really starting to feel it now. Aches and pains everywhere.

I always try to do a quick stretch and warm down either straight after the game or when I get home, but does anyone have any tips on keeping the aches and pains at bay and recovery in general?

Thanks! :)

The Referee Store
I'm coming to the end of a mad few days where I'll have reffed five games in six days and I'm really starting to feel it now. Aches and pains everywhere.

I always try to do a quick stretch and warm down either straight after the game or when I get home, but does anyone have any tips on keeping the aches and pains at bay and recovery in general?

Thanks! :)

I thought you'd only managed 3 this year as of a couple of weeks ago due to weather?

I recommend ibuprofen and ibuprofen gels. Both are anti-inflammatory, the tablets are more generalised and the gel more direct.

I've done 5 games this week and my body is begging for the season to end!

I thought you'd only managed 3 this year as of a couple of weeks ago due to weather?

I recommend ibuprofen and ibuprofen gels. Both are anti-inflammatory, the tablets are more generalised and the gel more direct.

I've done 5 games this week and my body is begging for the season to end!

I had, most definitely making up for lost time! :D

Sounds like I may need to drug myself up for a few days!

Foam rollers. Genius decide. Get one.

Any particular type/brand you'd recommend?

I often use protein shakes just to increase dietary protein after a strenuous match to keep up with the increased demand for protein digestive products in order to repair any tears for example. Same applies post injury but it's useful if you suspect something is going to really hurt in the morning!

Protein helps with muscle recover. I often stretch later in the evening as well, not sure what the science is on that one (probably mainly because I don't stretch at the ground). I'm a big fan of full-leg-length compression tights through the evening as well - and I suffer chronic calf cramps and would referee up to 10 games a weekend (including fri night, mix of middles/lines and mix of grades)

They are the worst thing in the world but consider an ice bath, or my alternative just a bath using only the cold tap. When your legs go numb the blood flow reduces right down then afterwards the fresh blood being pumped into them is re-oxygenised and therefore speeds recovery and helps fix any minor ailments you may have picked up along the way.

Warning** They are horrible, my wife being the lovely person that she is often comes to watch me getting in she finds it hilarious as I am deep breathing and swearing!!

They are the worst thing in the world but consider an ice bath, or my alternative just a bath using only the cold tap. When your legs go numb the blood flow reduces right down then afterwards the fresh blood being pumped into them is re-oxygenised and therefore speeds recovery and helps fix any minor ailments you may have picked up along the way.

Warning** They are horrible, my wife being the lovely person that she is often comes to watch me getting in she finds it hilarious as I am deep breathing and swearing!!
would that work with bruising as well? got a lovely tackle on my knee on saturday and its bruised up quite badly, restricting the movement a bit.
so far ive only really used voltarol gel to reduce the pain, but i wouldnt mind any recommendations for speeding up the healing process for this....and i dont really fancy dropping myself into an ice bath for nothing !
i'm sure you'll all now recommend it just to amuse yourselves :p

Freezing cold bath is one of my things. Sitting in it is easy... Compared to immersing your head/torso. That is just no fun

Freezing cold bath is one of my things. Sitting in it is easy... Compared to immersing your head/torso. That is just no fun

You must be a braver man than me then Monkey, I only sit in it but don't find this easy at all. Its ok once your in but its getting in that I struggle with!!

would that work with bruising as well? got a lovely tackle on my knee on saturday and its bruised up quite badly, restricting the movement a bit.
so far ive only really used voltarol gel to reduce the pain, but i wouldnt mind any recommendations for speeding up the healing process for this....and i dont really fancy dropping myself into an ice bath for nothing !
i'm sure you'll all now recommend it just to amuse yourselves :p

Richard I am not sure an ice bath would help this but certainly ice the area. Get a bag of peas on it tonight whilst watching Coronation Street.

You're a brave man Ollie. I like the thoughts of the benefits but not the pain to get there!

Serious question: do you dive in full bore or give the general and his two lieutenants some cover?

You're a brave man Ollie. I like the thoughts of the benefits but not the pain to get there!

Serious question: do you dive in full bore or give the general and his two lieutenants some cover?
No I'm with sm you have to just go for it otherwise it's even worse, the general and two lieutenants soon go into hiding don't worry!!

Back