A&H

Responding to managers

S

Sam Neal

As it is my first line tomorrow I was just wondering how I should respond if the coaches ask me anything i.e. if they question a decision etc. Any help would be great. Cheers

The Referee Store
Your best strategy on your first game might be just to smile and ignore the comments/questions.

But generally if I can spare the time - ie if I'm standing at halfway while play is in the other box - I'll answer if they're asking respectfully. For example last week the coach's team took a corner, the other assistant flagged, and the referee gave IFK to the defenders at the corner arc. Unsurprisingly, the coach had no idea what was going on, and I said

"I can't see exactly what happened from here, but it looks like the ball may have been outside the corner arc when your player took the kick. The Laws of the Game state that when this happens the other team gets an indirect free kick."

He went on to suggest that be that as it may, the ref should have been more lenient (and this from a team which is one level below New Zealand's "Premiership") - and that's when I gave him a polite smile.

Unless the lotg in New Zealand are different to the lotg's over here, the kick should have been retaken

The taker touching the ball a second time before ball has touched another player? That would result in a idfk.

Ah **** you're right. And no, it wasn't the taker touching the ball again - the very senior ref confirmed afterwards it was outside the arc, and I didn't think to double check the laws.

Well at least I sold the wrong decision to the manager I guess.

Anyone see the excellent spot from a ref 2-3 weeks ago in The Championship ..?

Corner taken - it rebounded off the near post straight back to the corner taker who controlled the ball ... hadn't touched anyone else - ref gave an IDFK for player touching it twice while players looked around confused - FANTASTIC !!

Anyone see the excellent spot from a ref 2-3 weeks ago in The Championship ..?

Corner taken - it rebounded off the near post straight back to the corner taker who controlled the ball ... hadn't touched anyone else - ref gave an IDFK for player touching it twice while players looked around confused - FANTASTIC !!
Yes - I saw that, don't know if I would have picked up on it.

The best advice I can give for this is, as far as possible, pretend you haven't heard the comments!

The only thing I've ever said to a manager was "you get on with your job and let me do mine" (he was moaning about a decision that had just gone against his team)

Back