A&H

Refereeing u16

Rob123

I’ve refereed adults games and found them fine but when refereeing u16 I seem to struggle in controlling the match I’m 16 so could anyone give me some tips please.

The Referee Store
Really hard to tell without seeing what's happening in your games. One possibility is that your foul bar is in the wrong spot and they need a lower threshold to keep the match civil. It can also be that there is something about the tone of your interactions that works with adults and not with teens--16s can be a weird age emotionally, half adult/half child. You can't always talk to 16s the same way you talk to adults.

Really hard to tell without seeing what's happening in your games. One possibility is that your foul bar is in the wrong spot and they need a lower threshold to keep the match civil. It can also be that there is something about the tone of your interactions that works with adults and not with teens--16s can be a weird age emotionally, half adult/half child. You can't always talk to 16s the same way you talk to adults.
Thanks. How often do you speak to players during a game and would you recommend starting the game by giving more fouls then easing off as the game goes on ?

Thanks. How often do you speak to players during a game and would you recommend starting the game by giving more fouls then easing off as the game goes on ?

Always and yes. Speak to players constantly as the game goes on - preventative things like careful, don't foul him, nothing silly, etc, but also just general chatter with them helps build a relationship.

Think of the start of the game like you are driving a new super car that you don't know how it will handle. You aren't going to go foot to the floor and risk wrapping it around a tree after 30 seconds, but equally you aren't going to be driving like Miss Daisy. Refereeing is the same - you don't know what is going to happen in each game so allowing a free for all in the first 5 minutes is akin to risking wrapping your car around the tree. Giving a free kick for any slight contact is a bit Miss Daisy. Start with a low risk approach, limited if any advantage, if you are 50/50 or even 40/60 as to whether it is a foul just give it. If the game is then good natured you can ease off, start to play advantages and that 50/50 becomes a play on.

It is always easier to loosen the reins on the game than it is to tighten it. Start in control and see how the game progresses. One of the most critical skills for a referee (and one that takes time to develop) is reading this game to see where lines need to be drawn and feeling where things might spiral before they do. 16s can definitely spiral. Sometimes it is the lower foul bar or some cautions that are needed. Sometimes it is slowing things down if emotions get high.

As @RustyRef says, talking is very important--but we have to be thoughtful about how we talk. We can't be condescending or defense. We nee our talk to be the calm voice of authority so that players feel we know what we are doing, will protect them when needed, and will judge them fairly.

One of the things I make sure I do in every game is be really clear about where I want throw ins taken from. It's a "non volatile" situation and gives you the chance to assert your authority on the game.

Top tip - don't forget to say "please and thank you" For example:

"Just there please player" followed by a "great thanks" when they've taken it from the spot.

I've found by doing this my authority is naturally being instilled into the game and players are getting attuned to what you want from them.

Top tip - don't forget to say "please and thank you" For example:

Other opportunity to do this is at the wall for free-kicks.

I don't generally chat with players otherwise though, but then I've been told not to in general.

Am always saying please and thanks,

a " move back" and a " move back please" sound very very different...

Back