• No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Would you ever do what the referee at the Southend match did yesterday? He gave a throw in when it was tight, but the ball went out but the assistant referee didn't give it (it was clear that he thought the ball didn't go out rather than waiting to see which way the ref gave it).

The Referee Store
Moment of poor communication. Ref was a bit quick on the draw it seems.

Ah. Are you saying the ball was out? The joys of scenarios without video!

Ah, okay. he didnt so much overrule him then as give a decision the AR did not see. It can happen when you are trying to watch the offside line with a player breaking forward and trying watch the ball close to the touch line.

Overruling an assistant is needed sometimes. Example, ball played towards an attacker in an offside position and the assistant raises his flag, but the referee knows the ball was played towards the attacker by a defending player, it cannot be offside. He has to overrule the assistant.

Overruling an assistant is needed sometimes. Example, ball played towards an attacker in an offside position and the assistant raises his flag, but the referee knows the ball was played towards the attacker by a defending player, it cannot be offside. He has to overrule the assistant.
I agree when the AR is wrong in law they have to be overruled, but this was simply a matter of judgment.

If you know the correct decision and the AR makes the wrong one, why would you not want to overrule him?

All you'll do by failing to overrule your AR when you know him to be wrong is ruin your personal credibility. Now the players won't trust you or your AR so what have you achieved?

In a very recent City game, Joe Hart made a superb save (proper fingertip stuff) and the assistant flagged for Goal Kick because the touch was perpendicular to his line of vision, the referee correctly gave a corner as he was pretty much parallel to it so yes, sometimes it is required. As an assistant it can be frustrating if youre overrulled, it happened to me in an u17s cup final, I was infront of the crowd (opposite side to subs as I was 2nd assistant) and the ball got cleares up the line and there was a little ditch on the centre of the touchline and it just rolled along the touchline perfectly from the haf way to the corner flag (the half of pitch on my left (I covered the right)) so I had a perfect view and the ref gave out about 10m into the half of the pitch and the crowd saw I was right so luckily for me they bitched at the ref and not me because I think that would have dampened my credibility

Who cares if the crowd thinks you're credible? You should be far more concerned with the players' thoughts on the matter!

I'd make a greater effort not to let the crowd's opinion of your decisions influence your morale. In this case, it works for the best but I can assure you that it's few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back