A&H

RED CARD | Wigan's Callum McManaman dismissed for this challenge on Claude Dielna

deusex

RefChat Addict

Now I've only seen it from this one angle that isn't ideal...
but I'm not so sure this is even a free kick. (Although I admittedly can't see if contact is made with his right leg from this angle).
And I can't make out if he's left the ground, the replay is too blurry.
In fact, I am in no position to pass judgement, and it's callum mcmanaman so the ref was prob right.
He looked well hard when he swaggered off.... scary 12 st footballers!!!

The Referee Store
Looks two footed and excessive to me... Don't get why players tackle with two feet, feels totally unnatural to me and always runs the risk of a red

Definitely seems to leave the ground and definitely two-footed. Doesn't do himself any favours by going to square up to one of the yellows (didn't catch the number) after being shown the red, then at 24 secs looks like he thinks about giving the ref a nice dig in the ribs but thinks better of it!

On the match highlights that you can see after this clip, Wigan have a goal ruled out but it looks like the AR is signalling for a sub? What's that about?

On the match highlights that you can see after this clip, Wigan have a goal ruled out but it looks like the AR is signalling for a sub? What's that about?

Match report says offside, but it does seem a very odd signal.

Possibly he raised his flag for the offside and just as the camera moved a team was making a sub so he changed signal?

As you say, the video is far from ideal so you cannot know for sure, but it has the look of a red card challenge.

The old adage, it doesn't look right.

I don't like the term "2 footed challenge". It is perfectly possible to make a legal 2 footed challenge.
It is the having no feet on the deck that makes a challenge dangerous

Wigan manager Malky Mackay on McManaman's sending off: "There's no issues at all, he hardly actually catches him but it's the fact it's two-footed at the ball.
"It looks worse than it is - 90% of what he does is get the ball, but it's a sending off."

I don't like the term "2 footed challenge". It is perfectly possible to make a legal 2 footed challenge.
It is the having no feet on the deck that makes a challenge dangerous

For me it's the fact that two footed challenges seem to be unnatural and are designed to cause injury/create more (excessive) force behind a tackle that makes the term useful in deciding whether it's a red card or not...

Having being at the game (admittedly in the Wednesday end at the other end of the ground), I thought it was a red card. Went in late and with excessive force. IMO, he cost his side the game too, as it would still have been 0-0 if we'd been playing now without the extra room on the pitch for us as a result

Back