A&H

Red and Yellow Cards

lukeleddy

I am refereeing a Under 11s game on Sunday and was wondering the rules for giving a player a yellow or a red is it different to under 16s or do they get chances.

The Referee Store
Technically, the laws are exactly the same and punishments are applied the same regardless of player age.

In reality, it's much rarer to see cards at such a young level, partly because any foul is much more likely to be "careless" than anything more severe.

I do a lot of youth football and at 11 aside will card with out thinking about age.
11 years old is still mini soccer I think, the 9 aside as GreameS says it is rare to card for a tackle. VC and offinabus I think should be red but again I have not had either in any of my games at U11s. The most difficult is DOGSO outside the area and all of those scenarios, handballs on goallines from outfield players. If applying the LOTG you should card and I have seen it done and the 11 year old child was in tears and was upset all weekend .

giphy.gif

Even I'd struggle to card at that age, would I do it? Yes, there are some boundaries no age can cross, but I'd have to give a lot of allowance for inexperience and clumsiness.

Back