A&H

Racism/abuse from spectators

Don't disagree with any of that and I wasn't expecting anything to happen. Main reason I notified them was in case someone else reported it directly to the fa and included that I'd been informed about it, just thought it better to get my version in first.

The Referee Store
I don't think anybody disagrees, but it might be different if they've received multiple complaints against the same team throughout the year.

You are also obliged to report this via Kick it Out.

Lets be totally brutal and honest reporting something that you didn't hear and is probably hearsay is going to fall on deaf ears at the County FA, it certainly did at FIFA the other week. Yes, they are never going to send out a memo that says don't report these types of incidents but truly, where do these actually go... probably nowhere... You are probably the only independent person(s) there and its going to be someones word against someone else...You didn't hear it so who did?? It it malicious is it false???, 99/100 this just gets filed in the bin, unproven, no case to answer!! Maybe not PC to say it but this is reality....

that is the reality indeed. but it does build a picture. if team A keeps getting a reported of racism or homophobia even with no witnesses by different teams, or the flip side; team B keeps reporting other teams. the fa or league might send a secret observer.

that is the reality indeed. but it does build a picture. if team A keeps getting a reported of racism or homophobia even with no witnesses by different teams, or the flip side; team B keeps reporting other teams. the fa or league might send a secret observer.

Also imagine the scenario that the player of his team report the abuse to the police, who then contact the CFA who know absolutely nothing about it. The police then speak to you and ask if you were made aware of it, to which you have no option but to reply you were told and did nothing. This would get back to the FA and you'd be suspended and in all sorts of bother.

Just report it, let others worry about what to do with it.

Also imagine the scenario that the player of his team report the abuse to the police, who then contact the CFA who know absolutely nothing about it. The police then speak to you and ask if you were made aware of it, to which you have no option but to reply you were told and did nothing. This would get back to the FA and you'd be suspended and in all sorts of bother.

Just report it, let others worry about what to do with it.
you are actually agreeing with me

When did the lily liberals move in to take over the asylum.... I must of been on holiday...
When I was younger sticks and stones broke bones but calling names never hurt you...We fought our own battles on the pitch, natural justice. Retribution was for lip and fouls were part of the game..Come the end we shook hands and moved on....telling tales was frowned upon too!!! Yes, there was racial stuff, but they gave it back too... Good, some lads deserved it!! Old school to most of you lot i'm sure!!

When did the lily liberals move in to take over the asylum.... I must of been on holiday...
When I was younger sticks and stones broke bones but calling names never hurt you...We fought our own battles on the pitch, natural justice. Retribution was for lip and fouls were part of the game..Come the end we shook hands and moved on....telling tales was frowned upon too!!! Yes, there was racial stuff, but they gave it back too... Good, some lads deserved it!! Old school to most of you lot i'm sure!!
no one deserves to be abused because of their race, gender or sexual orientation. you don't need to be a bleeding heart to believe that. you only need to be a decent human being. just my two cents worth.

Im not saying they do, just back in the day, things were different and things got sorted in different ways!!! Not condoning it either, that was how it was!!

Im not saying they do, just back in the day, things were different and things got sorted in different ways!!! Not condoning it either, that was how it was!!
And back in the day blacks wouldn't be allowed to play on the same field as whites. What's your point?

also, it's would have, not of.
You don't write 'would'f' when abbreviating it.

Steady on Captain, where did I mention any form of non participation, far from it. Lots of things happened 30/40 years ago that don’t sit right in today’s changing world, as I said it was different times. Football was a rougher game back then. Refs did far less.
I was from Huddersfield and it was common to have all Asian men’s football teams, all Carrabian cricket teams and perish the thought all white teams too. Thuggery in football was far more prevalent than today, it was less training and skill orientated and more a social meeting and a drinking event.

your tone and choice of words implied otherwise

I know the drill at youth level if you do witness a spectator hurling racist/homophobic remarks is to request the home team officials remove that person from the vicinity on threat of abandonment. At what level does that approach change? I imagine it's more difficult at supply level, where you may have 50-100 people watching the game, yet no official stewards, etc. What's the approach then?

Also, how about when you hear a racist/abusive comment from the spectators, yet are unable to pinpoint the person who said it? An extraordinary misconduct report via WG?

These may sound obvious questions, but clarity on these matters is important.

I'd just submit an extraordinary report, you you haven't heard something, or heard something but can't identify the perpetrator then that's all you can do.

The CFA may not be able to do much, but if you've submitted a report then it covers you, and if it is regular occurance (and other officials have also submitted reports) then the CFA can build up a picture and with enough evidence can tell clubs to sort their spectators out.

Sadly CFAs work on the Balance of Probability theories. Without overwhelming evidence they will do nothing as any failure or loss shows up on their competence evaluations at the end of a season. They only tend to go hard on Dead Certs as this reflects well and shows a healthy return on a budget expended.

I've got personal experience from this attitude and it is how they are told to think. Same reason why the Crown Prosecution Service drop cases or prefer certain charges that should stick in their eyes. They themselves are accountable too and ultimately are paid or replaced accordingly!​

I'd be making sure I spoke to the officials from the club concerned and tell them that an allegation has been made and that you didn't hear it, but make it clear that had you done so, action would have been taken at the time.

Protocol for Dealing with Discriminatory Abuse

As a result of high profile incidents where players have been the targets for discriminatory abuse from spectators at stadiums it was felt that guidelines needed to be drawn up containing advice for dealing with similar situations were they to occur at matches in this country.

As a result of consultations amongst relevant organisations it has been agreed that incidents of discriminatory abuse targeted at players, managers or match officials (“Participants”) by spectators should be dealt with in a similar manner to the way in which threats of physical attack on Participants are handled.

For example if missiles were being thrown on to the field of play the referee would be expected to draw the matter to the attention of the police and safety officer who would then have responsibility for dealing with the issue.

If the issue could not be dealt with in such a way that the safety of the Participants remained at risk then the referee could in liaison with the police and safety officer remove the players from the field. A further opportunity could then be given for the situation to be resolved. If it could not then ultimately the referee would have the right to abandon the game.

A similar response should occur where incidents of discriminatory abuse take place.

 The incident should be brought to the attention of the referee

 The referee should report the matter to the police (if in attendance) and safety officer.

 The police and safety officer should seek to identify the person/people responsible and take appropriate action while the match continues

 If, after a reasonable amount of time, the problem continues then the referee in consultation with the police and safety officer may remove the players from the field and suspend the match allowing the police and safety officer a further opportunity to deal with the problem.

 Only if the matter cannot be dealt with satisfactorily, warnings have gone unheeded and the welfare of the Participants, in terms of their facing the threat of continued discriminatory abuse, remains at risk should the referee consider abandoning the game.

 Any decision to suspend or abandon a game should be taken by the referee after full consultation with the police and safety officer.

The above protocol has been agreed by the Premier League, Football League and Football Association in the knowledge of and after consultation with the following organisations:

 The Professional Footballers Association

 The League Managers Association

 The Professional Game Match Officials Board

 The Safety Officers Association

 Kick It Out

 The Association of Chief Police Officers

 Match Commanders.

Supplementary guidance note on offensive / abusive language involving discriminatory comments

If a match official hears any offensive or abusive comments which include any reference to race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, faith, gender, sexual orientation or disability they must:

 Dismiss the offending player from the field in accordance with Law 12

 Make full notes of the exact words used as soon as possible

 Complete full notes of the incident immediately after the match (ie prior to leaving the changing room)

 The notes should be retained by the match officials

 As well as submitting an extraordinary match report the referee should immediately inform the appointing authority.

If a match official is made aware of allegations relating to comments involving race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, faith, gender, sexual orientation or disability they must:

 Make full notes of any discussions as soon as possible. Note that the PFA encourages players to report any such incidents to the match officials as soon as possible. Match officials may become aware of incidents which they themselves have not witnessed during the course of a game. If this occurs the referee should ensure that full notes of the incident are made at the time..

Where a match official is advised of an allegation after the match they should ensure that full notes of the allegation are made prior to leaving the changing room.

 The notes should include timings and as be as accurate as possible including reported speech

 The notes should document all participants in attendance at the meeting or meetings

 The notes should be retained by the match officials

 As well as submitting an extraordinary match report the referee should immediately inform the appointing authority.

Back