A&H

Racism/abuse from spectators

Jim Garrett

Hi there. So there has been a bit if talk over the last few weeks regarding referees not doing anything should a player report to you a racial or abusive remark.

Can we assume here that we as the referee has not heard anything .

What should we as a referee do if someone tells you that they have been racially or otherwise abused either by a player, coach and even a spectator

The Referee Store
I believe that even if we havent heard it ourselves we are duty bound to report it. If you havent seen or heard you are powerless to do anything at the time but it should still be reported.

I believe that even if we havent heard it ourselves we are duty bound to report it. If you havent seen or heard you are powerless to do anything at the time but it should still be reported.

I don't think we are powerless to do anything. OK, you haven't heard anything. But depending on the context, the reactions of spectators, players, benches, and your own common sense... there are things you can do. If the benches are heated then it makes sense to talk to them and calm them down. If you've got 12 players in your face arguing about racist language, maybe it makes sense to get the captains in and remind them that racist abuse cannot be tolerated.

and at the time that the player is in front of you ? explain to them that as you heard nothing you cannot take any action there and then but that you will be reporting things as per @Padfoot s post above?
also if it involves 2 players, or players / coaches do you take a 'statement' from all concerned, or just the aggrieved ?

Yeh sorry I meant in terms of actual disciplinary sanctions. I know that where there are stewards etc you can ask for a greater presence but most of us are not quite at that level.

Last edited:
Yeh sorry I meant in terms of actual disciplinary sanctions. I know that where there are stewards etc you can ask for a greater presence but most of us are not quite at that level.
Not heard it? Can't do anything during the game except to make it clear that it will be reported. As an Observer I made a report on a discriminatory comment that neither the referee nor the assistant heard, but it was overheard by spectators in the stand. The match officials reported they hadn't heard it, the spectator and club Secretary report supported my account and the person received an extensive stadium ban.

On a side note, what about claims of agreesive behaviour or threats? This happened during my first season, the lad (U-17) came to me and claimed that the assistant coach has threatened to knock him out as he was running past him and instructed his players to purposefully injure him... what do you do then? You haven't heard anything, you where no where close to hearing or noticing anything. Do you still have it as an extraordinary report too?

Similar scenario as this is a safeguarding issue. Even if normally they aren't whilstever they have the flag they are a rep of the club and should behave as so. That said I think if it was a just a spectator we'd also be obliged to report it.
Remember that u18s are still children and should be treat as so.
Most youth leagues and counties have a specific welfare officer so I'd be inclined to report the matter to them also

On a side note, what about claims of agreesive behaviour or threats? This happened during my first season, the lad (U-17) came to me and claimed that the assistant coach has threatened to knock him out as he was running past him and instructed his players to purposefully injure him... what do you do then? You haven't heard anything, you where no where close to hearing or noticing anything. Do you still have it as an extraordinary report too?

I had something similar the other week. A player on one side came up to be at half time saying that the captain had threatened to 'break his legs' and was advising players to take him out. I hadn't heard it so I couldn't speak to the captain incase the player was lying so I just simply told him 'I'll keep an eye on it'. Slightly different if a coach/manager etc has said it, maybe put in a misconduct report into the Wholegame system stating what had been said but clearly state that you hadn't heard it yourself.

I stopped a Junior game once (next break in play) when a manager shouted to his full back to take out an advancing striker to 'f'kin snap him'.. he said!!
I was astounded that a man in such a position to teach and educate his junior team could actually shout that. He got a royal bollocking!!! Quiet as a mouse after that!!!

At the adult level I wouldn't worry about it.
EDIT: no that's completely stupid. Encouragement of injury is unacceptable at any level. Don't know what I was thinking!
Here there's child protection though, so I'd agree with @James Long and report that.

Last edited:
At the adult level I wouldn't worry about it.

Really?
I'd suggest there's something very wrong with our society if threats of physical violence are nothing to worry about but that a racist remark, whether heard yourself or not is something to still warrant being reported .....

Really?
I'd suggest there's something very wrong with our society if threats of physical violence are nothing to worry about but that a racist remark, whether heard yourself or not is something to still warrant being reported .....
I was thinking about this sort of thing this morning for some reason and I wholly disagree with my earlier comment. Clear encouragement of injury is still serious.

Reactions: Kes
Happened to me earlier in the season, player went ballistic because of it and their manager informed me that something was said, I said I would report. I did the Association didn't want to know as I hadn't heard it directly....would still report it helps association build a picture of teams.

I had an allegation of a racist remark in one of my first few games, below is the email I sent to the county fa and their response

Hi ****
I wasn't totally sure who this should be sent to but thought it needed to be sent to someone.
I refereed a U16 game between **** and **** in the **** this morning. After the game I was approached by a parent from **** and she said that one of their players had been racially abused and was in tears. I replied that I hadn't seen or heard anything during or after the game with respect to the allegation and all I could do was make a record of the claim. After she had spoken to me I informed the home manager from ****, of the allegation and he said he wasn't aware of any thing that had happened.
Please let me know if you need to know anything else.
Regards
-----------------------------------------------------------------
to ****
Hi Jamie
Thanks for your e mail
As you have stated you did not see/hear anything
Which means you CANNOT not report this as misconduct
It is however a good idea to put any racist allegations in writing which you have with your e mail
Well done and thanks again

Lets be totally brutal and honest reporting something that you didn't hear and is probably hearsay is going to fall on deaf ears at the County FA, it certainly did at FIFA the other week. Yes, they are never going to send out a memo that says don't report these types of incidents but truly, where do these actually go... probably nowhere... You are probably the only independent person(s) there and its going to be someones word against someone else...You didn't hear it so who did?? It it malicious is it false???, 99/100 this just gets filed in the bin, unproven, no case to answer!! Maybe not PC to say it but this is reality....

Back