A&H

Quick FK

To allow a quick free kick be taken?

• Total voters
Note that you don't need to "give" permission for them to take a quick one... but otherwise, your approach seems pretty fair.

The Referee Store
Note that you don't need to "give" permission for them to take a quick one... but otherwise, your approach seems pretty fair.
Yeah, I could have clarified that bit further. If they look like they want a QFK, I'll get close quickly so they can quietly ask me in case that's what they're waiting for. If they don't ask and don't just take the QFK, I'll be nearby and can move to a ceremonial as soon as 5-10 seconds have passed.

That's basically a 'take the cue from the players' approach, and if they seem to be indicating they have no desire for a QFK and aren't in a hurry to do anything, then you'll just run with that assumption and make it ceremonial, sound about right? i think that's a reasonable and fair approach.

My approach is if they want it quickly they are welcome to take it, but they will have to be quick as if it is anywhere near the penalty area it will be ceremonial and on the whistle once I get there and start managing it.

The expectation at senior levels is that if it is within shooting distance it is always on the whistle. When I was at L3 I frequently got told off by assessors, and even more so by my coach, for allowing quick free kicks at all in that area, but I was always happy for them to go as long as it was before I arrived on the scene.

The expectation at senior levels is that if it is within shooting distance it is always on the whistle.
Is it though? Even on TV we see the occasional one. I disagree that this is the 'expectation'. No surprise you were told otherwise - plenty of incompetent assessors and referee coaches out there.

Sounds like you have a similar approach to most others on here, the main difference seems to be just how long you'll allow before you take the assumption that the players are happy with it ceremonial. Just as long as you still allow a bit of time for the kicks where you're already on the spot, need to treat those the same as the ones where 'it's quick until you make your sweet way over there from the cozy centre circle position' :D

Royally effed one up today. Overthinking it.

DFK, 10 yards inside the half. I had gone over to get some defenders back and to aid correct position of the ball so i put the whistle up an said "on the whistle" - just as an attacker played it quick from beside me. So I double blew and called it back. I again said "on the whistle".

Then, I am nearly in position, raise whistle to lips, attacker has started the run up, I whistle quickly once just before he strikes the ball.

Defence were not the sharpest knives in the drawer and most froze. Tap in for the attackers and goal. The defence were super peeved but it didn't boil over, amazingly. But I had really stitched them up, in my mind. I was so annoyed that I then called half time early, horrible mistake, which was noted by the defence after the game and my assistants (one of whom is a senior). D'oh

I so should have double blown when I saw him running up - even though it would have come across as officious. I could even have let him take it without blowing and given a card but that would have been over zealous. By blowing once just before he struck the ball I had a really negative impact there. The defence went on to lose 3-2. Ouch.

Nothing else to add on that one - glad to hear you're reflecting upon your own performances like that.
You mentioned you could have allowed the 'before whistle' kick and cautioned the attacker - why caution? It's not mandatory here. The only real problem is that the ball may go out for a goal kick and you have to retake it (is that still clearly mandated in the LOTG?)
Sounds like the mistake got inside your head though - I've ruined entire games myself just dwelling on a bad error. It's tough to avoid, but you have to find a way to be able to move on and not allow a mistake to compound during a match.

Back