A&H

Promotion

W

WAFCryan2014

Hi out of interest does anyone know if you can still do the double jump? From 7-5 and 6-4, or can you no longer do it?

Thanks.

The Referee Store
I am still hearing of people doing it - it varies per county so best off asking your RDO.
It is a very high level of commitment required having to complete 2 promotions in one season i.e. meet the criteria twice e.g. 2 x 20 games etc.

7-5 certainly is available in Essex.
6-4 i dont think is.... however whether it is or isnt, i think you will find that its really not recommended.
Its not mentioned in my promotion candidate pack, and our RDO stated that games will be allocated to challenge you but not to put you so far out of your depth that you struggle.

I am still hearing of people doing it - it varies per county so best off asking your RDO.
It is a very high level of commitment required having to complete 2 promotions in one season i.e. meet the criteria twice e.g. 2 x 20 games etc.

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure whether or not my county will do it. It's a lot of games to fit in, but I'm sure it's doable

7-5 certainly is available in Essex.
6-4 i dont think is.... however whether it is or isnt, i think you will find that its really not recommended.
Its not mentioned in my promotion candidate pack, and our RDO stated that games will be allocated to challenge you but not to put you so far out of your depth that you struggle.

Did your RDO say that games will be allocated you to challenge when doing from 7-5?

Did your RDO say that games will be allocated you to challenge when doing from 7-5?

well, in a roundabout way, yes...
there is a list of leagues that they will consider for observation purposes, which in their estimation are challenging enough for that category. Its then up to you to register with these leagues and you will be allocated games on them accordingly.
what has now happened here is that the RDO puts you on the games and not the ref sec, so they make sure that you are, as a promotion candidate, getting used to dealing with the kind of games you will be on at the level you are aiming for.

Hi out of interest does anyone know if you can still do the double jump? From 7-5 and 6-4, or can you no longer do it?

Thanks.
As others have said, varies from county to county and even where allowed, does require a huge amount of comittment to get in the required matches and observations.

As someone who has taken the last three seasons to progress from 7 to 4, my advice would be that there is a great deal to be gained from taking it step by step and consolidating your experience at each level. Otherwise, even if successful at advancing very quickly, you could end up very exposed at Level 4 where the demands (physical, mental and on your availability) are much greater. That said, there are certainly isolated examples of referees who have made it work successfully so just choose thoughtfully and after proper consideration :)

In Scotland its most common to go 7-5 unless you don't regularly attend your weekly and monthly association training/meeting although I'm not sure how different the structure is down south.

As others have said, varies from county to county and even where allowed, does require a huge amount of comittment to get in the required matches and observations.

As someone who has taken the last three seasons to progress from 7 to 4, my advice would be that there is a great deal to be gained from taking it step by step and consolidating your experience at each level. Otherwise, even if successful at advancing very quickly, you could end up very exposed at Level 4 where the demands (physical, mental and on your availability) are much greater. That said, there are certainly isolated examples of referees who have made it work successfully so just choose thoughtfully and after proper consideration :)
Thanks for the advice. I'm really not sure whether in my county FA they'll allow the double jump. I agree with what you're saying you can still make the same progress doing 7-6, 6-5, 5-4 etc than someone will who does 7-5 or 6-4. It seems as though, going to level 4 is the biggest step up. Is 7-5 a huge step up?

In Scotland its most common to go 7-5 unless you don't regularly attend your weekly and monthly association training/meeting although I'm not sure how different the structure is down south.
Over here it's more common to go from 7-6, 6-5, 5-4 etc than doing a double jump

Thanks for the advice. I'm really not sure whether in my county FA they'll allow the double jump. I agree with what you're saying you can still make the same progress doing 7-6, 6-5, 5-4 etc than someone will who does 7-5 or 6-4. It seems as though, going to level 4 is the biggest step up. Is 7-5 a huge step up?

All depends on you and your ability. As always, what works for one may not work for others. I know someone who did 7-4 in one season, now he's a 2B, others I've seen not even manage the single promotion when attempting a double jump.

If you think you've got it in you and county let you, then go for it. But consider what an extra year at the level you're at will do for your development and the benefits that might have over rushing and (potentially) finding yourself out of your depth.

All depends on you and your ability. As always, what works for one may not work for others. I know someone who did 7-4 in one season, now he's a 2B, others I've seen not even manage the single promotion when attempting a double jump.

If you think you've got it in you and county let you, then go for it. But consider what an extra year at the level you're at will do for your development and the benefits that might have over rushing and (potentially) finding yourself out of your depth.
I'll be definitely going for promotion for next season. Most probably 7-6. Thanks for the advice. Do I apply from 1st March 2018?

Honestly it's so long since I applies for promotion I forget who you do it to and when! Best check with your county!

You normally need to apply around January time, with the promotion season starting in March. Does vary between counties though.
And there's no harm in registering your interest to your RDO earlier than that.

I really don't understand the rush to rise through the levels. The lessons and experience from working steadily through promotion provide the bedrock for higher levels. I see so many refs who double bounce and come unstuck when as a level 4 they experience their first mass con.

Take your time, learn your craft, take the knocks, learn to smile and deal with players

I really don't understand the rush to rise through the levels. The lessons and experience from working steadily through promotion provide the bedrock for higher levels. I see so many refs who double bounce and come unstuck when as a level 4 they experience their first mass con.

Take your time, learn your craft, take the knocks, learn to smile and deal with players
Wise words Paul....sadly the promotion carrot is dangled too early and they get delusions of grandeur that they are Prem bound!!!
Never for me TBH, but I've seen refs at Level 4 who weren't in control of a game as i'd of expected being so high!!

I have heard that RDOs are judged on how many refs get promotion and if not enough promotions are met espeicially to the higher levels they may be asked to leave. If this is an urban myth please be kind. It is only a rumor I have heard.

I have heard that RDOs are judged on how many refs get promotion and if not enough promotions are met espeicially to the higher levels they may be asked to leave. If this is an urban myth please be kind. It is only a rumor I have heard.
To be honest Tino, that just sounds like a relatively typical situation for any kind of paid employment. You are set a range of targets to achieve and if you (consistently) fail to deliver them then it's evidence that the job may not be for you! And in the context of a role that it is all about developing referees, to use the amount / seniority of promotions achieved as an indicator of success seems entirely reasonable. I'd hope that it would be balanced by other factors such as number of referees recruited / retained and more broadly developed but obviously that would be at the discretion of the county employing that RDO.

That does make sense but does it then mean RDO's are encouraging refs to go for promotion when they are not ready or capable of doing more challenging games? It seems every young ref in my area are all talking about promotion when I have done a whole year of youth and senior youth, half a season of OA and some high levels lines and I know that I might be ready for 6-7 but no way ready to do 7-5 even if I was looking for promotion.

Back