A&H

Promotion Level 7-6 Criteria

So thinking of going for promotion this year, as advised, but have a few questions?
Do you have to spend a full season at Level 7? I have spent about 4 months at this level, and the 20 games, do they have to be OA? Have seen some places they have but in others they haven't specified.

Cheers fellow refs.

The Referee Store
@youwhatref?!

- first question - how long have you been qualified as a level 7? You need to have been a L7 for a complete marking year, so if you qualified since 1 March 2016, you are ineligible for promotion in the 2017/18 season.

Hi, the promotion season runs 1 March to 28 February

You will be required to referee 20 games. The games need to be 11v11. You will be assessed at least 3 times to make sure you hit the required standards. The competencies you need to show are published- a google search will sort this.

Theses assessments are normally done on open age games so you will need to be comfortable running these games

Some counties now ask that referees run a few lines too. My advice would be to register as an assistant on the highest league you can- the hints and tips you will pick up will be invaluable

Good luck

I am going for promotion this year. I believe applications for the 2017-18 season closed earlier this month.

Depends on the CFA when the closure date is, as they normally can only accept so many candidates with the observing and other supporting requirements.

So thinking of going for promotion this year, as advised, but have a few questions?
Do you have to spend a full season at Level 7? I have spent about 4 months at this level, and the 20 games, do they have to be OA? Have seen some places they have but in others they haven't specified.

Cheers fellow refs.

You have to check with your local CFA when is the deadline for application; in Manchester as I believe in most counties the deadline is end of the month. You pay the fee, and you get invited to a seminar, which most probably will have the exam for the LOTG; so be prepared beforehand. Plenty of sites that provide mock exams and quizzes.

As for the 20 games, I'm afraid it has to be 20 OA; previously U18 also counted towards that. I'm not sure about the U-21 leagues if they still count. Then again, better check with you local CFA.

Best of luck mate

@youwhatref?!

- first question - how long have you been qualified as a level 7? You need to have been a L7 for a complete marking year, so if you qualified since 1 March 2016, you are ineligible for promotion in the 2017/18 season.[/QUOTE

I qualified in November, making me ineligible. Oh well, gives me more chance to develop for next season!

I think (I could be wrong) that you are confusing the 20 games before going for promotion and the twenty games in the promotion year.

I did my course in the summer and was considering apply to enter the 7-6 promotion programme for the coming year. I had a few similar questions so I contacted my RDO for clarification, particularly around the need to have done 20 games before entering the promotion programme. I was told that the 20 games needed prior to starting your promotion year had to be games in which club marks were given, I.e. I could include the games that I had done in the local youth leagues where club marks are submitted, along with the games from the adult league that I do. What I couldn't count was the friendlies and Schools games (including official cup competitions) as club marks are not submitted in these games.

In the promotion year, the 20 games must all have club marks submitted, must all be above U16 level (so could include U18) but 70%, I.e. 14 of them, must be OA.

Hope that helps

Jeff

It is covered by rule 4e in the regulation for the control and registration of referees, as below ...

A Level 7 Referee must officiate as a Referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period before applying for promotion. No Affiliated Association may impose any other qualification periods which cause delayed passage through the promotion pyramid

So every county should be the same, the rule is clear.

Preschooler grasping crayon with a fist.jpg

Apparently they've raised the competencies to weed out the weaker candidates. If you can now sign your name you're one for the future!! ;)

Back