A&H

Pre-match warm up

As an observer who avoids most boardrooms I will often see the warm up but not being choreograhed is not a reason to affect marks.
It is an opportunity for officials to show they are switched on however - a chance to check on players' clothing, a chance to show team spirit before the game, etc.

The Referee Store
I've never had a coach but it would appear that most level 3s are providing identical warm up tops to ARs from my experience this year. I've only had one that hasn't.

We used to all wear suits to matches and absolutely nobody thought that we would be great because of that. It's all such nonsense.
I've only ever have 1 do it, and I won't be doing it.

At a certain level (and i am thinking about higher level youth matches, higher level womens, as well mens) some kind if coordinated warm is great as part of the show.

Even if you have a 17 year old AR that’s just cycled to the match, going through some motions fits the occasion and shows respect. Last weekend we’d had one game and a break but we went out and did 5 mins before the second match, together, some stretching with the chat. At a certain level I think it can even be rude not to - and it does help team building.

I work with 15-65 year old NARs and absolutely - always what fits - at Iower level matches, much more important to chat and build trust.

As an observer who avoids most boardrooms I will often see the warm up but not being choreograhed is not a reason to affect marks.
It is an opportunity for officials to show they are switched on however - a chance to check on players' clothing, a chance to show team spirit before the game, etc.

Absolutely. But as an Observer and therefore someone who communicates with Onservers, are you aware of those that mark refs down on not having 3 matching warm up kits or choreographed warm ups? All the level 3s I work with bar 1 this year have dished out warm up kit and done the warm up where they send you to your line for 5 mins to continue to warm up on your own which I've always felt is wrong because time is better spent communicating with each other imo. But this advice must be filtering in from somewhere/someone.

I do what's asked because at level 3 the refs are fighting to get into a really good level of football and I want to help not hinder, but I do find it all a bit odd.

I’ll dissent. Choreographed warm ups are in my experience all show and no “go”.

My preferred method for the past few seasons now has been callisthenics/yoga based, initially through necessity but then preference. In fact I’ve suffered less in game issues since doing this, than the classic warm up including the shuttles.

Any observer criticising this is in need of reeducation. A team, who have done the right warm ups for them will work better over 90+ minutes than one who has completed an eye pleasing 5 minutes of cheerleader practice. 🙂

Absolutely. But as an Observer and therefore someone who communicates with Onservers, are you aware of those that mark refs down on not having 3 matching warm up kits or choreographed warm ups? All the level 3s I work with bar 1 this year have dished out warm up kit and done the warm up where they send you to your line for 5 mins to continue to warm up on your own which I've always felt is wrong because time is better spent communicating with each other imo. But this advice must be filtering in from somewhere/someone.

I do what's asked because at level 3 the refs are fighting to get into a really good level of football and I want to help not hinder, but I do find it all a bit odd.
I have never known of an observer marking down in respect of a warm-up routine (although it's a subject that has never come up)
Some coaches of Level 3 and Level 4 referees do encourage a particular type of warm-up, but that's personal preference on their part rather than FA policy.

Back