A&H

Pre match chat with teams

In terms of instruction, there is nothing whatsoever the Referee can say to the Captain's or sides before KO that serves any purpose whatsoever
Any instruction is a waste of breathe and arguably, only serves to detract from any respect (clean slate) the participants might have for the R before KO. Conversely, there is zero respect or value to be gained from any formal interaction

The Referee Store
So one has to talk to teams?

Why? This died out decades ago in most grass roots leagues. When I dropped down to low level park football at the end of my playing days we'd often get some of the older refs come in for a pre match chat with the entire team, usually about language etc. Most didn't listen and almost al ignored and forgot what was said as soon as the game is underway. But what players will remember is what you said that could effect the other team. IE, "if you swear I will book you" etc. So enjoy every player constantly being on your back and using your words against you.

Less is more. Do ALOT of communication during the game to players but never before (obviously I'm talking about in game stuff. Nothing wrong with conversation and chit chat of course, we aren't robots).

Why? This died out decades ago in most grass roots leagues. When I dropped down to low level park football at the end of my playing days we'd often get some of the older refs come in for a pre match chat with the entire team, usually about language etc. Most didn't listen and almost al ignored and forgot what was said as soon as the game is underway. But what players will remember is what you said that could effect the other team. IE, "if you swear I will book you" etc. So enjoy every player constantly being on your back and using your words against you.

Less is more. Do ALOT of communication during the game to players but never before (obviously I'm talking about in game stuff. Nothing wrong with conversation and chit chat of course, we aren't robots).

I’ve seen a local ref officiate a couple of times this season at U12s / U15s and all three times he took each team aside before KO for a ‘team talk’.

My son (playing for the U12s) said he checked each player’s boots and told them ‘no backchat’ and ‘a load of other stuff’ that he’s forgotten. 🙈

During the games, he seemed to enjoy stopping the game to remonstrate with players for very minor whinges (nothing worthy of dissent) so I question whether the team talk was a bit of an ego thing for him.

I’ve seen a local ref officiate a couple of times this season at U12s / U15s and all three times he took each team aside before KO for a ‘team talk’.

My son (playing for the U12s) said he checked each player’s boots and told them ‘no backchat’ and ‘a load of other stuff’ that he’s forgotten. 🙈

During the games, he seemed to enjoy stopping the game to remonstrate with players for very minor whinges (nothing worthy of dissent) so I question whether the team talk was a bit of an ego thing for him.
We teach new referees to conduct a footwear and jewellery check, then the briefest of words to captains ("If I need you to calm one of your players I will invite you to come over") before the toss of the coin.

As ChasObserver, I have recently had some success with, “could you both do me a favour, if any of your players get overheated could you help me to calm them down and just listen if I need to call them in, saves a 10 minute sin bin, thanks, heads or tails?”

We teach new referees to conduct a footwear and jewellery check, then the briefest of words to captains ("If I need you to calm one of your players I will invite you to come over") before the toss of the coin.

Interesting. I have only ever seen the ref I mentioned earlier do the formal line up equipment check and team talk. We were advised on my course that the jewellery and equipment check could be done from a distance as the players were warming up (part of the reason we should arrive nice and early)

Interesting. I have only ever seen the ref I mentioned earlier do the formal line up equipment check and team talk. We were advised on my course that the jewellery and equipment check could be done from a distance as the players were warming up (part of the reason we should arrive nice and early)
It can, but in our area we have a recommended protocol for pre-match, which most (not all, sadly) carry out.
Better safe than sorry is a good watchword😉

It's interesting. I ref a lot of U12/13/14 games and it's a fine line between not letting the little whinges escalate but not being over officious. Minor whinges/natural frustration is fine, but at some point you do need to speak to kids to stop it escalating. Most of the time the coaches deal with it before it gets to Sin Bin territory and that's where I find a very brief pre-match chat with the coach helps.

Ask for their names (if you don’t get a team sheet) let them know your name

‘You know your players better than I ever will. If I ask you to have a word with one of your players, even if you agree with them over me, please do it as it will potentially save a booking’

If there’s anything weird such as an over hanging tree, make sure they are aware of what will happen if it hits it

Game on

Used to be a “enjoy the game, be sensible” to the captains ref but finding that it’s not really enough to command respect once the game starts.

So I pick out a few things that often come up e.g. “what the ****” vs “**** off” and a reminder I don’t have ARs so offside calls might not be perfect. Found that has really helped, dissent is down because captains are telling their team my bar is low because it is.

BUT this takes at most 30 seconds, I’m keen to get on with it, players get bored of you talking after 2 words usually. Push your luck and they’ll ignore you entirely

Back