A&H

Pre Match Briefing

Lewis Hart

Hi Guys,

I've got a game this Sunday (WRGFL U13s Shield Semi Final), and I have two lineswomen.

Please can you help me out with:
What do I talk to them about over the phone?
What do I talk about in my ore-match briefing?
Any otehr advice?

Thanks In Advance.]

Last edited:
The Referee Store
They are Assistant referees, haven't been called linesmen/women for many years now besides them being female shouldn't make a difference.

Over the phone, just check how they are, confirm the fixture with them and discuss travel arrangements, let them know what time you want them to arrive at the ground and let them know the dress code.

There are many topics and documents on pre match briefings, everyone's is different, just decide what works for you and anything specific you want for them, I'd also recommend having a crib sheet or have a few notes on your phone like I do to guarantee you cover everything.

Good luck for the game!

Assistants on the phone
  • congratulate them on their appointment
  • try to find out how much experience they have as an assistant
  • ask how their season has gone so far
  • tell them what time you'd like them to be there (It needs to be at least an hour for a game with Neutral ARs)
  • tell them the dress code. This means you need to check whether there is changing at the ground. For a semi final a smart jacket and trousers or suit if you have one should be expected BUT you might just have to go in smart tracksuits over your kit
  • You also need to think about whether there is separate changing if you have a female assistant or whether you will take it in turns to use the changing room. If you are taking turns, then you need to allow more time before the game.
Assistants on the day
  • you need to check for the instructions I've posted elsewhere
  • make sure you brief them on the field
  • make sure you are well away from the players and spectators
  • consider writing out some notes so you don't miss anything
Enjoy your game!

seperate changing rooms must be an english thing anytime i have worked with female colleagues nobody bothers about these things we are a refereeing team

seperate changing rooms must be an english thing anytime i have worked with female colleagues nobody bothers about these things we are a refereeing team
So you are happy to strip and shower in front of female referees and they are happy to do the same?

I'd also offer another bit of advice for the pre-match phone call a few days before (and as it's a Cup Final - this can be more vital).

Enquire as to what kits they have - and try to get all three of you matching (ie. if you all have the new Nike Kit, or the Umbro PGMO kit from a couple of years ago).

I'd also ask them to bring short and long sleeved - and then decide on the night what you would wear - as all three of you out there in matching kit and short sleeves would look more professional than one of you in a short sleeved Nike, one in a long sleeved Umbro and the other in an RA Kit.

I'd also offer another bit of advice for the pre-match phone call a few days before (and as it's a Cup Final - this can be more vital).

Enquire as to what kits they have - and try to get all three of you matching (ie. if you all have the new Nike Kit, or the Umbro PGMO kit from a couple of years ago).

I'd also ask them to bring short and long sleeved - and then decide on the night what you would wear - as all three of you out there in matching kit and short sleeves would look more professional than one of you in a short sleeved Nike, one in a long sleeved Umbro and the other in an RA Kit.
If you can't get matching kits, as a bare minimum the same socks (e.g. all black).

:rolleyes:

Never thought I'd see the day that a zebra approved of all black

We've got it quite straightforward to be honest - quite refreshing from my days under the FA when we had what seemed like a new standard kit of some description each season (I remember the days of OSUK the one year, then one type of Umbro, then another, then Nike, etc.)

On-field uniform
The uniform to be worn by BAFRA members for all games in Britain shall be as follows:
  1. Standard black and white 1" vertical striped shirt with black collar and cuffs; numbers on the shirt are prohibited; mesh shirts are permitted if worn by all members of the crew.
  2. Black regulation trousers (pants) with tunnel belt loops and a 1¼ inch white stripe running the length of each leg are permitted if worn by all members of the crew. These are to be worn with plain black socks.
  3. If all members of the crew agree, they may all wear either standard white regulation shorts (length 1-3" above the knee).If either of these options are agreed by the crew they will be worn with black socks with a white northwestern stripe pattern.
  4. A black belt, approximately 1½" wide, with a plain buckle.
  5. Black (or predominantly black) shoes with a suitable stud or tread pattern and black laces.
  6. A peaked cap, white for the Referee, black with white piping for the other officials; solid, sized hats are preferable to meshed, adjustable ones; rain hats are permitted.
  7. Only those badges expressly approved by the Association; if worn, the BAFRA badge shall be on the left sleeve with the top of the badge 3" from the shoulder seam; another approved badge may be worn in the corresponding place on the right sleeve; badges may either be sewn on or attached by Velcro or similar.
  8. Any part of the clothing worn under the uniform shirt that shows shall be black in colour.
  9. Rain jackets, if worn, shall be un-numbered and must have a 1" stripe pattern.
  10. Gloves, if worn, shall be predominantly black.
On-field equipment
Officials shall carry the following equipment:
  1. Two foul markers (flags), light gold in colour, approximately 15" square and weighted, worn inconspicuously.
  2. At least one bean bag of suitable design carried where easily accessible. Line Judge, Back Judge, Field Judge and Side Judges should normally be equipped with two bean bags.
  3. A whistle (and a spare), either finger whistles or those on neck and wrist lanyards are recommended.
  4. The time keeper and the play clock operator shall carry suitable stop watches that have been checked for accuracy before the game, spare watches should also be carried, either by the time keepers or by other members of the crew.
  5. The linesman shall carry a chain clip (and spare) of suitable design, and tape to mark the mid-point of the chain.
  6. Game data card, pencil (and spare).
  7. Down counter (and spare).
  8. Coin for the toss (Referee and Umpire only).
Off-field
Officials are expected to be neat and tidy at all times. They are on view from the moment they arrive at the venue until the time they leave. Dress standards must be high at all times.

Arriving and departing from the venue, all officials shall wear:
  1. EITHER a smart shirt or blouse, OR a plain polo shirt with no more than one small logo on the breast.
  2. Trousers, but not denim jeans. Smart shorts (not denim) are acceptable in hot weather.
  3. Shoes, but not trainers.
  4. Anything bearing the logo of any British team is prohibited. This includes caps.
Restrictions
  1. Approved logos are the BAFRA badge, any other BAFRA logo, or any BAFA, EFAF or IFAF approved logo.
  2. Only current associate and qualified BAFRA members may wear uniform or clothing bearing a BAFRA logo.

Back